RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner questions

Hi to all and a few questions for the RS4 veterans. Just bought a used 08 RS4 cab and was wondering about two things.

1. the motor whines like it has a supercharger. Is this typical. The salestool I bought it from was clueless about this.

2. Can anyone summarize clarify the "carbon build-up" problem i have been reading about here? Is it typical?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate everyones time.
luckiguy
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luckiguy
Hi to all and a few questions for the RS4 veterans. Just bought a used 08 RS4 cab and was wondering about two things.

1. the motor whines like it has a supercharger. Is this typical. The salestool I bought it from was clueless about this.

2. Can anyone summarize clarify the "carbon build-up" problem i have been reading about here? Is it typical?

luckiguy
1. I think the whine you are hearing (probably from outside the car) is actually the timing chain combined with the direct injection noise...

2. A few cars have been suffering from the carbon build up, and it seems to be related to the direct injection i.e. no fuel on the intake to clean it off.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

luckiguy
The Whine is from the FSI pumps and 100% unique to the RS4 FSI engine and perfectly normal....

As for the carbon build up, it seems alot of people are having issues with it, there doesnt seem to be any clear idea on what will prevent this or what is causing it.

Best thing to do is use premium fuels (Shell) and good quality oils.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you both- i appreciate it
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xlacrosse
The Whine is from the FSI pumps and 100% unique to the RS4 FSI engine and perfectly normal....

As for the carbon build up, it seems alot of people are having issues with it, there doesnt seem to be any clear idea on what will prevent this or what is causing it.

Best thing to do is use premium fuels (Shell) and good quality oils.
I don't think there are "a lot" of people who have been having problems. Some people definitely have. Not sure whether it is related to fuel quality, driving patterns, faulty oil seperator. Certainly more people have had DRC issues.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
I don't think there are "a lot" of people who have been having problems. Some people definitely have. Not sure whether it is related to fuel quality, driving patterns, faulty oil seperator. Certainly more people have had DRC issues.

I guess your right, Its just been a common topic on here. So far my car has been perfect and I already have 25k miles on it
Old 05-24-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are a few people that had the car throw CEL's or hesitate and after through inspection and removal of the intake manifold they noticed bad carbon deposits on the valves.

Personally I would think that even a car with no actual symptoms may still suffer from carbon deposits. I guess it would be difficult to persuade the dealer to take the intake manifold off to verify without any actual CEL/codes.

From the people here even with CEL's and hesitation the dealer preferred to send them on their way with a "everything is working fine, I do not see any problems" quote.

Just like the DRC. Most dealers do not even want to handle it. Thus a leaky strut becomes a "sweaty strut" that for DRC is "normal" and "within specs".

Cheers

Nick

Last edited by titsataki; 05-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - I 'm always on Shell premium anyway.
As long as I'm here, heard any opinion on Chicago dealer service? Reputation, good or bad? xlacrosse, how do you like your Milltek at cruising // highway speed?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - I 'm always on Shell premium anyway.
As long as I'm here, heard any opinion on Chicago dealer service? Reputation, good or bad? xlacrosse, how do you like your Milltek at cruising // highway speed?
i LOVE my milltek setup ... non res/non valved and downpipes

The car is LOUD, but windows up cruising on the hwy is better than any car ive owned in the past with an exhaust. There is no drone at all

I gotta say im really happy with the overall setup of my car
Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks - I have to say the stance is perfect

Quick Reply: new owner questions