RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Newbie, looking at a used RS4, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, looking at a used RS4, need some help

Hey guys, been reading on here for a while but this is my first post. Looking at a used 07 RS4 that has 1800 miles on it, really good deal from a pretty reliable source. It was only titled a couple months ago, can't imagine why someone would take a big depreciation hit after that short period of time. I can have a pretty extensive test drive, and 5 days to return the car if anything is wrong (i'm going to take it to a dealer after purchase), but is there anything I can look for myself specifically that might be wrong with the car to cause someone to unload it so quickly after purchase? I've never driven an RS4 before, and only know any of the possible small issues from reading on this forum.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sometimes people make a mistake when choosing a car. Could be spouse objections,

change of life priorities, change of job, change of location, loss of job, etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not likely to be a lot to worry about at 1800 miles but you've still got to go through the

drill like it had 50,000 miles. I just bought a 1062 miler in October which was a private deal (sorta) so it does happen. Rather than imagine why someone is dumping it, I'd find out. Lot's of legitimate reasons to sell (what my guy really wanted was an S8) and weigh any hard evidence against that story.

If you haven't done it yet, I'd check out Scott's RS4 registry. You can tell where it was reported sold, equipment etc which again should match the story. It should also match up to the Carfax report. Don't assume there has only been one owner.

Service history is a must. You can get that with the PO's cooperation. Should be nothing on it. Literally.

Driving the car and going over it yourself is great but unless you are skilled enough to pick up on subtle clues left in high end auto collision repairs, flood damage etc, I'd get someone else to look as well. Dealer would be fine.

Obviously, if you are not buying from a dealer, ensuring legitimate title and finance company release is important.

RS4s have been very reliable so likely you've got a winner on your hands....just a bit of work to be absolutely sure is all :-)

Tim
Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 AM

Default More information

Actually, everything checks out with the registry, and the carfax is completely clean and matches the delivery state for the registry. I'm buying it through Carmax (wonder if anyone here had any good/bad experiences with them), had it shipped from Wisconsin to my local one. Its going for 58,998, misano red premium pack with CD, and its got 1,830 on the clock, seems like a real good deal. Since they have a 5 day window, even if I can't find something, i have 5 day's for a dealer to check it out and if anything comes up, I can take it back. Are 2007-b cars more reliable then 2007-a since they were being built more regularly then? Or is there a certain build month i should look for this car to be built after? Or are RS4's in general very reliable, just like S4's (maybe more so)? Just wondering cause this isn't going to be a garage queen for me, i'll be depending on it and using it every single day.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM
zx9
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: More information

I bought mine from carmax with about 8k miles. The buying process was the best I've been through. Everything was done right there. I had hard tags on the car when I left. The salesman was even cool enough to tell the detailers not to put the carmax sticker on the back of the car. The only problem I've had was a faulty glove box which was discovered during the test drive. I've put on almost 3k miles since November and the car has been solid.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 AM

Hey, did you buy the Black/Black that was in Laurel, Maryland. I had been looking at that car forever, then one day it just vanished off the site. If thats the one, glad to hear you've had alot of luck with it. There is a Gray/Silver in Laurel now too with about the same mileage, thats the only one in their system right now.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Newbie, looking at a used RS4, need some help

I may be selling mine do to a new home that Im having built.

Didn't plan on buying a new house when I bought the Rs.

Car only has 2500 on it after 9 months of ownership.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default For me, Carmax was a bust. They wouldn't allow an indepedant inspection prior to purchase and

being from the West Coast, no local dealers. Tried talking to the GM but they wouldn't budge. I wasn't about to buy that way but it sounds like it will work for you. The price is good. The misanos and imolas can sometimes take a little longer to sell and that would work in your favour at a Carmax where volume is king.

Very little difference reported between the a and b cars other than the clutch assist hose reported here. Good luck!

Tim
Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
zx9
AudiWorld Member

Yes, that would be me. I cant believe the gray one is still sitting there. The gray one was gone when I went to test drive the black/black, I assumed someone had bought it until I saw it there a few days later. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I sold mine with 3,000 miles and bought a Porsche. Realized my mistake, sold the Porsche and

ordered another RS4. Some of us have real problems with keeping our cars and have to loose them to appreciate what we had. Anyway, on an RS4 I wouldn't be too surprised with that low mileage on it. There sure wasn't anything wrong with mine when I sold it. I only have another 3 months of waiting until I finally get my new one. )

Quick Reply: Newbie, looking at a used RS4, need some help