RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Oil Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Issues?

Howdy all, I recently purchased an rs4 about a month ago, and Ive already had to put in a quart and a half of oil... Is this normal? It seems to be burning through oil like it's its job. I do drive it every day, and have put on quite a bit of miles over the month (but i just bought it so thats understandable)... Any tips?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well... how much do you drive it? "every day" doesn't really define that. 4000 miles a month?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was going to add...

Most of that oil is probably caked on your valves right now
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chazaki
Howdy all, I recently purchased an rs4 about a month ago, and Ive already had to put in a quart and a half of oil... Is this normal? It seems to be burning through oil like it's its job. I do drive it every day, and have put on quite a bit of miles over the month (but i just bought it so thats understandable)... Any tips?
How many miles have you put on this oil? How many miles are on the engine? I would not leave the factory approved oils in this engine for more than 3k miles. They are just simply not up to the task for the RS4 engine.

Same thing has happened to me among many others. Most believe the burnt oil is what is building in the back of the intake valves. You might want to do some research on this topic.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I was going to add...

Ragdoll you just beat me to it. Much has been made of the oil issue in the RS4. This oil crashes at 3k and after that is not kind to the inside of the engine and its delicate metals. Fuel dilution is the major factor here and the "approved" oils do not handle this dilution well. There have been many conversations on many forums about this. I am hoping Audi will do something about our 75k cars. I am currently looking to switch over to Biosyn once I get this 3k OCI.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had my car for a bit less than 4 months. I changed the oil with the Castrol syntec approved oil. I have not seen a measurable loss of oil in the dipstick but I only have put 1200 miles on it. Probably about 400 on the new oil. I will probably change it in a couple months regardless of miles and also run a oil analysis test with Blackstone labs.

cheers

Nick
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should buy a longer dipstick! Seriously, these cars use some oil initially, then settle down. They also tend to "throw" the first 1/2 quart, so many of us have learned to only fill to the 1/2-way point on the dipstick. My car probably went through a quart or two when new, but after around 7,000-10,000 miles I haven't had to add any at all (between 3000-mile change intervals). Currently, the odo is at about 27,000.

Realize that any motor will use more oil if it's seeing a lot of high rpms, like autocross, roadrace, or drag strip. Or just beating the snot out of it on the street.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

There seems to be a Consensus here that the cars wants to run half a quart low on the dipstick. I hope you change the oil and filter every 5K miles
Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I was going to add...

op;

do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought it used with 4k miles on it. In that month Ive put 3k (:-p). Should I be concerned?

Quick Reply: Oil Issues?