RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Oil preferences? (since we're going to be using a drop or two...) I found...

Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil preferences? (since we're going to be using a drop or two...) I found...

Amsoil and Castrol Syntec 5W-40 at G.I. Joe's tonight. They also had Mobil 1 5W-40, but it had a "diesel truck" designation and didn't appear to be Audi/VW 502.00 compliant.

Amsoil is more expensive (not an issue), but what say you guys on whether it's the best choice for top-off? Always used Mobil 1 0W-40 on my B5 S4, so this is new ground for me.

BTW, was talking to dealer's service manager today and he said they would be using Castrol Syntec for regular service. Think it's worth the cost of taking in the Amsoil?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is Amsoil 502.00 compliant?

If so, I must have missed it on the list. I can tell you that I used Amsoil in my B5S4 starting with the second oil change and the oil temp was 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than with Mobil 1. I am a big Amsoil fan. In the end, I am not sure it matters too much as long as you use a high quality synthetic. I purchased AudiCare and I think I will probably use whatever synthetic the dealer uses rather than spring for the oil myself.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it's not listed on the TSB dated 7/26/05...not sure if there's been an updated TSB since then.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Container says it's 502.00 compliant...so they better not be fibbing!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Does it say it's compliant or does it say, "Recommended for..."?

Be careful of deceptive wording. Their website says, "It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications", and then goes on to list a number of specs, including VW 502.00. It does NOT, however, say anywhere on the website that they actually meet any of the specs listed. I have not read the actual container text.

Since Amsoil is not listed on Audi's approved list, I won't be using it. I'm using Castrol Syntec 5w40 myself, as it's available at the local AutoZone (and is on the list).
Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Motul 8100 pwns you...

Audi engines seem to love the German Castrol and Motul 8100 series oil. I like the motul my self since its a ester based syntetic (i also like there 300v double ester oil).
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Motul = Chinese rip off of Mobil .. no chinese oil for my RS4 !

Just like Starbucks and Starlucks, McDonalds and McRonalds, etc.

heh
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are you talking about

Motul is a very fine French oil company, specializing in high performance oils for racing. Here is the company history:

Established in New York over 150 years ago in 1853, MOTUL had its roots in the whale-oil business, used for lanterns. Owned by the Rockefeller Group and operated as a subsidiary of Standard Oil Company, the company was later managed and run by Swan Finch and in 1919, came to known as the Swan Finch Company.

Having established its headquarters in the USA, the Swan Finch Company expanded its lubricant business and started exporting to Europe. In 1932, the Zaugg family, a French distributor bought out the Swan Finch Company, but kept the MOTUL brand name. The entire operation moved to France and the brand name MOTUL, was relaunched as a French brand.

Focused on improving the reliability and performance of lubricants, MOTUL dramatically altered the lubrication industry by producing several world's first and hence, set forth to shape the history of motor lubricants.

1953 - the launch of the World's 1st Multigrade Motor Oil.
1966 - the launch of the World's 1st Semi-Synthetic Motor Oil.
1971 - the launch of the World's 1st 100% Synthetic Motor Oil.

Till today, MOTUL continues in its tradition of producing superior quality lubricants by turning its technological innovations into real products for the automotive world. From Turbo Engine Oils to Catalytic Mufflers to Brake Fluids and Transmission Oils, MOTUL has been and continues to be the favored name.

An environmental-conscious organization, MOTUL has concentrated its efforts in developing cleaner and more environmental-friendly products. MOTUL has also invested in recycling programs, offering consumers a cleaner and greener way of living.

Currently headquartered in Paris, France, the MOTUL line of premium performance products is sold in 65 countries today.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 AM

mobil 1 is 0w40 not 5w40 I think...(for compliant)
Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yet another n00b with more money then brains...

not a new thing around here but Motul is a very old oil company with amazing products. In fact for a long time the European LeMans cars all ran on Motul 300v oil (some of the ferrari's and other exotics) still do. In fact all the local exotics shops all use german castrol with an upgrade to motul as an option in the Ferrari's, Lambo's etc... As RI RS4 outlined Motul has a pretty good history and the 8100 series is built off of their race bred oils.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil preferences? (since we're going to be using a drop or two...) I found...