RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

OIL!!! Why is it that

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OIL!!! Why is it that

everytime someone posts a thread about oil or oil consumption on this forum, it becomes so controversial and members become argumentative?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the only problem I have is people disputing the manufacturer's recommendations.

and literally everything that is presented as a contradiction to the manufacturer's recommendations is either anecdotal or based on evidence gathered from unrelated equipment (engines), OR based on a pitifully small sample size. if you or I were to try and publish a manuscript in a medical/dental journal with this kind of evidence, we'd be laughed out of town.

besides, I think I'm helping people. if one is going to do things that contradict the manufacturer's recommendations, one probably doesn't want to post it here for AoA to read.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

because MotoMan said so...
Old 08-17-2006, 08:55 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can't answer your Q, but here's something to chew on................

Elf Excellium LDX 5W40
LDX is a high quality synthetic technology multigrade oil, developed to cover the most stingent requirements of both gas and diesel engine. It is particularly suited to turbocharged, multivalved, direct injection engines. LDX can be used in the most severe operating conditions and in all seasons.
SPECIFICATIONS:
API: SL/CF
ACEA: A3/B3/B4
VOLKSWAGEN/ AUDI: 502.00/505.00
MERCEDES-BENZ: 229.1 229.3
BMW Long Life
PORSCHE
General Motors: GM-LL-B-025
Old 08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What has been presented on Oil that disputes the manufacturer's recommendations?

I don't consider my vehicle operating conditions to be normal, when compared to someone operating an A4. Yours may be.

Here is a quote directly from the Maintenance manual, regarding service intervals:

"The intervals shown in this table are based on vehicles operating under normal conditions. In case of severe conditions, such as extremely low temperatures, excessive dust, etc., it is necessary for certain operations to be carried out in between the given intervals. This applies particularly to engine oil changes ...."

Here is a quote directly from the Owners Manual:

"Under some circumstances the engine oil should be changed more frequently. Change oil more often if you drive mostly short distances, operate the vehicle in dusty areas or under predominantly stop-and-go traffic conditions, or have your vehicle where temperatures remain below freezing for extended periods."

It's funny, when it comes to running these vehicles on a track, or adding an aftermarket exhaust, no cry of dispair is heard. Yet both are not recommended by the manufacturer. But lord help us if we want to change our oil more frequently, or (shudder) test it and monitor it's progress and engine wear performance. Such heresy must be eliminated!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Boy, that closely mirrors what all of them are saying on the label or commercials...

"the moist stringent demands"..."particulary suited to turbocharged, multivalve... etc".

It's part of the merchandizing and I would take that kind of wording for what it is.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What has been presented on Oil that disputes the manufacturer's recommendations?

Relax, you are doing the best for your car. Let the rest just wonder.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: What has been presented on Oil that disputes the manufacturer's recommendations?

Look, those excerpts from the owners manual are the std language found in manuals maint service intervals of ALL mfgrs for about the last 30 years. So, it is not specific to Audi or the RS4.

The maint schedules are always shortened for what they consider "not normal" operation of the car.

I can't believe how this basic stuff is being blown well out of proportion here.

Let's try and keep this in its proper perspective.

VAG has a requirement they call 502. Big deal! GM, Ford, Merc, BMW and Porsche(to name a few) also have their own "standard" that will appear on the bottle labels or websites of the oil mfgrs.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people who are even bothering to buy their own oil(as opposed to having it taken care of at the dealer or Jiffy Lube) are most likely ignoring the special certifications and just going with a high quality, name brand oil...probably a brand they have used over the years. If, however, some choose to be completely **** about this most basic of car items, then so be it. But it shouldn't be presented as gospel, and it's hardly new information.

JMO.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: OIL!!! Why is it that

2 touchy subjects...no one wants to see oil consumption, and if they do, especially on a brand new car, the rationalizations start. Such as: I don't care, oil is cheap...or I expected it during break-in...or the owners manual says it's perfectly normal, see, see, right here. No simple answer it seems.

Oil choice is another subject which will bring out a lot of opinion and technical info, but it still boils down to personal choice/experience among the proper oils.

I can understand the oil quality debate somewhat for a car like the RS4. But, the consumption debate...jury's still out on that. It's simply too early to tell.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOL.. You still haven't gotten the point.

Here it is, plain and simple. I hope that works for you to grasp the concept.

A large portion of folks who followed the manufacturer recommended oil and change schedule for the 1.8T engine had issues. Audi realized (hey, only 7 years after the engine was released in the US) that they had made an error in judgement and changed the recommended oil to synthetic from dino. A large number people who followed the original recommendation ended up with oil sludge issues on the 1.8T.

However, there was a group of enthusiasts that decided instead of following the MANUFACTURER RECOMENDATION, they'd take BETTER care of their engine, and use 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic oil (mobile1 was a popular choice), and change every 5,000 miles instead of every 10,000 miles. Well wouldn't you know it those are the people who DIDN'T have oil sludge issues. And also wouldn't you know that the synthetic oil our local Audi dealer uses now in 1.8Ts is.... Mobile1 0w40.

I happen to be in the group that decided to do what was best for my car. I've changed every 5k with synthetic.

Boy am I glad that I DIDN'T follow the manufacturer's recommended oil and schedule!!

That's not all. How about the recommended timing belt interval? Again for the 1.8T, the MANUFACTURER recommends 105k miles. However, there has been a LOT of issues with 1.8T timing belts going much earlier, 70k - 80k is a common time for them to go. Again, this is not a small sample, it's a widespread issue. The results usually are that people need to rebuild their head due to bent valves and scored pistons. I changed my timing belt and tensioner (and accessory belts, water pump, thermostat) at 60k, and will do so every 60k miles.

So, while we ARE talking about a different engine, we ARE talking about the same manufacturer who previously made severely incorrect calculations. You're putting 100% blind faith into them without looking at any past evidence.

So yes, people who send in their oil analysis and change their interval depending on how quickly it's breaking down WILL have longer lasting engines.

I hope you're grasping what I'm trying to communicate here. If not, I'm sorry about your blind faith, apparent lack of automobile knowledge, and complete disregard to your fellow enthusiasts who are trying hard to take the best care of their car.

Quick Reply: OIL!!! Why is it that