RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Ok, this one can't be in the manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, this one can't be in the manual

I was thinking over the past few days about the steering wheel. I was an early defender of it.

But over the past few days something started to nag at me. Is this wheel really the exact same thickness as the wheel in the B7 S4?

Because the more I think about it the more I remember the B7 S4 being slightly thicker.

What say you?

Is there anyway to make the wheel thicker without compromising safety? I was thinking about having a custom apolstery done to it, maybe by adding a few more layers of leather it would thicken it?

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

same thickness or thicker from what I remember
Old 08-20-2006, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default that has been my only complaint about the car so far. steering wheel grip too skinny...

and this has tempted me to swap it for the RoW flat-bottomed version except I didn't want to lose the button functionality.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 AM

Default A weak point...

the US steering wheel....Autoweek claims it's an A4 wheel, and they harp on the same things you are...that if it can't be the flat bottomed metal euro version, at least it should be a much better steering wheel than what's in there.

I think the point is that they did redesign the steering wheel for the RS4, but when it couldn't be used in US cars, instead of doing an addtl one, they just went with the pat A4/S4 wheel.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Well, after sitting in a "sold" Mugello RS4 here in Denver yesterday...

(Customer has yet to collect it... can't imagine why anyone would wait!!!)

I then drove my B5 S4 and thought the RS4 wheel was defintely thinner. I also drove a B7 S4 yesterday and don't remember much about the thickness. The only thing I did notice is just how ugly the new Audi steering wheel is in relation to the B5 S4 wheel.

The leather wrap on the RS was nice, but the center block looks way better on the Euro wheel.

On a side note, I was in a friends brand new M3 last weekend and he had a wonderful suede wrapped wheel, that seemed about as think as my B5 wheel, but possibly a little smaller in diameter. Anyway, it was very nice.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 AM

Which dealer? I'm headed that way and planned to do some paint color shopping while in town
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Default I don't think so

after looking at some photos of my old S4.. i think the wheel was actually thicker..

can't we easily verify this? anyone have access to a B7 S4? get out the tape!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default And that's why I have standing orders with my dealer.....

Nothing personal, but if they allow it, then it will happen. Here's what I expect:

1) Dealer is to call me the moment the truck arrives.
2) Immediately, a sign is placed in the window "DO NOT WASH". The washbay is the lowest-paid position at the dealer, and I certainly don't trust their wash mits/towels/techniques/driving (if they even hand wash - many dealers run them through an automatic car wash).
3) NOBODY drives the car other than the senior tech, and it's only for the PMI which I was told is less than a 1 mile drive.
4) NOBODY sits in the car.
5) The car stays indoors, in an out of the way place not visible to the public.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: McDonald on South Broadway
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: They only let me sit in it. It's not like it's going to harm the car...

I just wanted to check out the interior and as a prospective buyer, it was the only car they had available to show me.

Quick Reply: Ok, this one can't be in the manual