RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

okay....here's a challenge for the tuners out there......

Old 05-07-2007, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default okay....here's a challenge for the tuners out there......

Please devise a system so that by default, the ESP is off, then you press the button to activate it in the same 2-stage manner as is present currently. The ESP is so intrusive to daily spirited driving that most of the time I wish it wasn't there.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humans are forgetful - missing a 'switch-on' can potentially have grave consequences...

I guess tuners can do anything but I suppose even they would be a bit uneasy with that?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 PM
gtc
AudiWorld Senior Member

IMO, tuners have a job and its not to parent us. $$ talks
Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Default barking up the wrong tree here, soon, very soon, ESP off will not be an option...

industry wide. enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought that the only requirement was that all cars have it by 200X not that it cannot be defeated
Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Default wishful thinking...i recently read somewhere that it will be "always on" in most cars soon

and that some mfgrs have already opted for that(2008 and later models). i hate the idea, but there you are. surprised?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I imagine that for cheaper cars it will always be on, but can you imagine a high performance car

not having the ability to turn it off ? I would find that VERY surprising.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Default you would think so, but when the gov't gets involved and it becomes a legal issue, well...

the fact that it's there even now should tell us something. who really needs ESP except the most unskilled of drivers? who doesn't know how to lay off the gas, steer into a skid, slow down on their own, use their heads in inclement conditions? i guess "they" have decided most of us don't know those things.

i have driven for years in the snow(Alaska and Lake Tahoe) w/o the benefit of even ABS for much of the time. i don't like any electronic system dumbing down my cars, but it looks like it will be unavoidable in the future. "they" know better.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You mention ABS and I agree that it makes a huge difference in almost every condition - except snow

and ice. In my experience from driving in Denver snow (nothing like Alaska or Tahoe) I can always stop my car more efficiently if I don't hit the pedal hard enough for the ABS to come on - self brake modulation works much better.

Anyway, back to ESP. So long as the default action is for the ESP to be on automatically after ignition, then I would have thought that would be enough. BUT, as you say, "they" know better.

I hear you about the gov't getting involved which is unfortunate, but it's likely that probably 95+% of people fall into the unskilled driver category. In the long run it's definitely a good thing for overall road safety but I would still want a way to temporariy disable it.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Default a jeep i had in mountains had ABS but not in 4WD mode, go figure.

yes, self brake modulation. i have always pumped the brake pedal in snow and ice when gathering too much momentum going downhill or when something unexpected happens in front of me. never fails.

first a few cars offered ESP(or equivalent)...now almost all are offering it...next, there will not be a function where you can turn it off. see the progression there? not like it hasn't happened before with safety systems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: okay....here's a challenge for the tuners out there......