RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

The ongoing B5 S4/B7 RS4 wars......

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The ongoing B5 S4/B7 RS4 wars......

are getting ridiculous. The point of the matter is that here, today, in late 2006, I really don't think there are too many people actually debating whether to buy a 6 year old S4 and mod it to hell, or buy a brand new RS4. To each their own. They are both great cars, both representative of great engineering, but are subjectively probably very different. Both have strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons. Were not talking apples and oranges, but we are talking limes and lemons.

The B5 is an incredible modding platform, no doubt about it. That's great if that's what you want. But why is anyone comparing a highly modded car to one straight from the factory. No automotive manufacturer ever does this as they upgrade their line from generation to generation. As I said, you can get a Civic or Subaru to be faster than a highly modded S4, and for about $10k you can get a highly luxurious full leather, carbon and Alcantara custom interior put into it as well. You can build it to be, on paper, a nicer car than any Audi for much less money. Some people actually find this appealing, others do not. And while we are on this subject, here's some food for thought....

Most likely, the new BMW 335i is going to be relatively easily modded for more power than the upcoming M3. Are the people who buy the M3 crazy? Some people just want a highly tuned complete package from the factory.

More food for thought.....

The new RS4 outperforms the old RS4. Stock vs. Stock. (which is the only valid comparison).

Bottom line.....comparing highly modded cars to factory products makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks MOTO
Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you vijay. I was seriously gonna post something on the b5 forum that probably would

have gotten me banned. It was just sickening. You put it so well, to each his own. For me, its both, that why I am looking for a B5
Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There you go being logical again. I fear this won't stop the hate...

It really is more about how they feel about their cars and themselves than about the RS4. What I wonder is how long it will take them come to the realization that although we may respond to them "we really don't care what they think about our cars".
Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Default who said anyone hates the cars? who said they hate any of the drivers?

i dont think anyone even said they hate the pretentious attitudes.

you guys jumped down someones back for posting a sub par dyno number. you guys are the ones that must be insecure if you freaked out like that and started to justify it with BS instead of realizing that SOME cars may have problems and then turning it into a logical discussion about what can be done about that.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well said.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:17 PM

Default a clarification and a harumph...

maybe you weren't here the other umpteen times b5ers have been posting slow drip anti b7 rs4 propaganda, but if you were you'd probably know how patient we have all been. you must understand that it all came to a head because is been going on for months and with the clearest intentions.

that said if I see any b5ers on the road I still will be giving them thumbs up, so with the spirit of the post lets let the hating subside.

great post by vjay. cheers.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default And yet we still wont see one competitive in SCCA

why?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're assuming it is the car that has a problem on the dyno

... and not some interaction between the car and the dyno that's causing these low readings.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 PM

Default very well coulb be, intelligent dicussion about it would be better than people

just claiming we are jelous and are trying to knock it to feel better about our cars

Quick Reply: The ongoing B5 S4/B7 RS4 wars......