RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ouch...ran into a 599 GTB on the merritt.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ouch...ran into a 599 GTB on the merritt.......

ANyone who has been on the Merritt when it is not too crowded knows it can be a great road to drive on...well, i bumped into a few cars today....some guy in a 335i convertible that was trying to impress his GF, which was a bit of a joke, but then....the beast of beasts...a Ferrari 599 GTB....he toyed with me for about 4-5 miles....i needed some fuel, and he followed me into the pit...

My car has about 8k miles on it, and I've definitely pushed it pretty hard. I've gotten use to the powerband, and when keeping her above 5k can run pretty good with most cars.....

The ferrari and I ran from 60 up to about 140 a number of times. I was able to keep pretty close to him on the straights, which i will say more likely reflects on his inability to drive his car well. He could not lose me on the straights up to about 135, which is where I backed off...the corners however....a joke. He took some very tight corners at 120...corners that scared the shi& out of me at 90 and had my tires screeching. The ferrari was unbelievably tight through the corners...

I realized a couple of things...First, the engine in the RS4 really is a beast, especially above 5k....also, if you are going to push this engine...you DEFINITELY need a suspension and brake upgrades...I thought my rear end was going to fly up in the air a few times. Kind of reminded my of my grandmas old caddy..the ferrari was unbelievable through those corners...

I chatted a for about 5 minutes with the guy...nice enough guy that just picked up the car after a long wait....looked like the early 50's yr old hedge fund boy....

THis is a hurried note, as I'm about to go play on a boat in the East river....but if I keep this car, it is getting a brake and suspension upgrade...still, I was impressed how well it kept up with a 12 cylinder stud....again, most likely his poor driving skills.....
Old 06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The 599 GTB is a phenomeonal car. Faster than an Enzo and, as you said, corners exceptiojnally well.

I understand that they are going for around $500k, or about twice the MSRP. Definitely, my choice if $ were no object. Is an instant classic too.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try the car with Stasis on it - I can keep up with gallardos through the twisties
Old 06-02-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

was it silver and had a plate that said "RBS"?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yup agreed. Ive kept up with gallardos many times and no one ever believes me. Its all about the

driver.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default sounds great

and the 599 is by far the best Ferrari for me. I really think that it is one of the most beautiful for the last 20 years. A true return to form
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't recall the plates

It was like a dolphin grey color...picked up just before Greenwich....I dont know the plate number, as we were hitting those curves damn fast....I really had no problem at all keeping up with him on the straights...almost knocking his bumper at times....yet he absolutely ran away on the curves.....i shi* mysef on one of them,l iterally schreeching the tires at about 100 and thinking I was goint to end up in the trees...and it was a great entrance to the corner....It was not fun.....also, the a$$ end felt very loose on the corners above 120....

In the end..all i can say is the Ferrari was an beautiful car...and to see it hit those corners..absolutely like it was on tracks......

For about 75 grand though.....I gotta give thumbs up to the Audi
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah i know that car. That guy drives the car everywhere! doesnt matter if theres a tornado out

he will be driving that car. I give him alot of props for not storing it in a garage somewhere. I saw it driving around when there was like 2 feet of snow on the ground. It was filthy as hell but he was out in NYC driving it
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you waited that long wouldn't you
Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i grew up around there. i miss the merritt.

be careful. if you're heading west the turns get sharper pretty quickly a little before it turns into the hutch. a lot of people lose it there.

Quick Reply: ouch...ran into a 599 GTB on the merritt.......