RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

overall thoughts on a cpo'd rs4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:27 PM
cwh
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overall thoughts on a cpo'd rs4?

pros/cons?

i've watched this forum a good amount from day one and I know the break in period is somewhat of a factor on this car. I believe a car that has under 10k miles would go for around mid-to-high 60's. Should I look out for anything specific besides high oil usage?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Default I typically avoid used high-performance cars ...

I've had bad luck with used perf cars. If you know the onwer, that helps a lot. But there are lots of people out there who can't help but hammer the car during break-in period and, in general, just abuse the car. They don't understand that you can drive the car fast w/o beating the crap out of it. I remember the time I was selling my 996TT and the guy test driving it was a real ***. I was thinking he better buy this thing (he flew up from CA so it was a pretty sure thing). I felt bad for that car.

The CPO is a pretty good deal in terms of coverage. You'll end-up getting more warrantee than a new car, but the dealers charge a big premium.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought one last week. Go for it.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ask for the service records.

that would help identify any major problems. honestly, we haven't seen a preponderance of MAJOR issues with this car, which is somewhat surprising quite frankly. I don't really consider oil usage a problem....it's just a characteristic of the engine during the break-in period. the faulty clutch hose was a problem with some of the early (launch) cars, but it seems that Audi has been more than willing to replace these under warranty. off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else that I've read about here as being a recurrent problem.

when all is said and done, if it's a CPO car, there's very little to worry about....particularly if you plan to keep the car for less than 6 years/100k miles.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Default well said, Bob

yes, even though very low miles on all RS4's to date, the clutch hose is the only thing i've heard about. and that's pretty remarkable, as you said.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Default oh, they've changed the CPO

it is now major components only. before(circa 07), it was basically bumper-to-bumper, or at least as comprehensive as the original warranty...with a few clauses thrown in to account for the higher mileage wear issues.

so, it ain't better than new car warranty. in fact, it's not even very good anymore. goes hand in hand with Audi dropping the free maint. cost savings measures...profitabilty is hurting thanks to VW division.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM

Default it is a separate warranty--orig warranty remains in effect until expired

then CPO takes it out another 2 years or 100k, whichever comes first.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Well, that's good to know ...

If you're not getting bumper-to-bumper, then it kinda makes the CPO program a rip-off because the dealers sure mark up the cars accordingly.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What Bob said...I believe there is rev counter storage during breakin...

could cwh ask if this information is available. Be nice to know if over-revs were attempted during the early miles.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 AM

Default very true

they do use CPO as leverage for a higher sale price of used Audis.

Quick Reply: overall thoughts on a cpo'd rs4?