RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Paging RI RS4. Just got off the phone with Motul's technical rep and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging RI RS4. Just got off the phone with Motul's technical rep and...

He will be sending me some technical info on some products. We spoke for at least 30 minutes on the phone and he gave me lots of very technical info.

The new 8100 X-LITE 0W30 (100% synthetic Ester based oil) does replace the 8100 E-TECH 0W40. All Euro oil companies are forced because of new pollution norms to revise their formulas and one way to get fewer pollutants in the air is by reducing the higher W factor (weight) in the oils. The new X-LITE 0W30 uses some of the technology from their Motorsport/Competition V300 Double Ester oils.

It is also VW approved but (it's on the VW list in Europe) but I guess it as not made it on the VW list here yet (bureaucrats). He will be sending to me the paperwork showing the VW approvals. It meets the lowest of VWs standards the 502.00 it also meets the 505.00 standard and of course it meets the toughest/higher VW 503.01 rating.

Along with the now out of production E-TECH 0W40 this new oil is considered much better than their 5W40.

I was also told a new and better and of course more expensive tranny/diff oil is about to make it to the market. This new oil is not replacing the Gear 300 but will be a step above.

Other good news is they are now going to release a superior brake fluid to the RBF600 (hard to believe). The RBF600 will continue to be produced but won't be the top brake fluid in the line anymore.

<b>Just in are some of the documents from Motul but I will need to take a screen shot of them to put them on the internet. It will have to wait until tonight.</b>
Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good information

I'm not surprised. Motul is a pretty small oil company and cannot afford to have too many products. In Europe the are switching over to lighter low sulpher oils for high efficiency and low emissions. 8100 E-Tech 0W-40 has quite a bit of sulpher in it's composition. It ranks highest on the Sulphate tests in Oil analysis, which would kill it's market in Europe due to regulatory compliance.

I suspect it will be a very nice oil. I'd love to see how it does in an FSI engine with an analysis.

I've contacted my distributors to see if they will be stocking 8100 X-LITE 0W30 in the US any time soon.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just to let you know the guy was nice enough to not only send me the Motul...

Technical approval form but the two actual letters from VAG to Motul (sorry I can't publish those on the Internet by his request). However I can e mail them to you if you wish and I would assume you would use them discretely.

For everyone's info, the cost for Motul to get an oil type approved by VAG is not cheap.

The approval letter itself, the paper that as the stamp of approval on it cost by itself <b>2680 EUROs.</b> This letter as to be renewed every <b>3 years</b> (more money) but that nothing compared to the actual cost that VAG charges for the actual testing of the product on their engines. For the <b>VW 505.01 standard</b> it costs Motul <b>250,000 Euros</b> for the testing! That's not all; they have to <b>re do the test every 3 years</b> and for every type of oil they want certified to meet the VAG norms. Add to this all the other car companies that I would assume want the same sort of testing done before they give their stamp of approval. That adds up to a pile of money.

No wonder their oil cost so much after all Motul is a small company compared to the Shell, Mobil, Castrol and others of the oil industry.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did he say anything about using Motul RBF600 ...for street cars with occasional track use?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jet, you are amazing!

Good job. Yes, I would love to see those approval forms and will keep them in confidence and destroy them after reading.

I imagined the cost for testing was high. I know that the VW standards essentially require some destructive testing of engines. No wonder small oil companies like Amsoil and Redline don't go through the process.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In what sense? I do it all the time. I don't even flush it anymore for winter use...

When I take my BBK off for the winter I refill with the Motul 5.1 it's compatible with the RBF600.

Only when I reinstall my BBK in the spring do I do a complete flush and then refill with fresh RBF600.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Per below..ordered the Motul X-lite 0-30 this a.m, will change oil next week
Old 01-11-2007, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I do too..I just wondered if it wasn't recommended by them.

I have RBF600 both in the Spec Miata and the Audi.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

YGM.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steve I'm sure they would still recommend you do it however I think that unless you...

Feel the pedal become mushy because of water contamination or vapour lock a complete flushing is not required.

Quick Reply: Paging RI RS4. Just got off the phone with Motul's technical rep and...