RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Pggy pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pggy pipes

any for sale..that will not throw codes??
Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong forum?

But while you're at it, are you turning your car into a race car and taking it off the street? If not, I hope you hold your breath, thereby compensating for the extra pollution:-D
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bah, piggie pipes still keep the main cats, and have no problems passing emission tests. ;-)
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Indeed. My B5 with Piggies passed emissions with flying colors this afternoon

I even brought the car in cold.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, mine passed in the US and TUV in Germany. I don't feel guilty about it in the least.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, but does that apply to the B7 RS4?

Personally I feel there is enough room for driver improvement amongst us civilians that gutting cats should be left to people who have exhausted (ha ha) every other means of going faster - in which case they've likely built a dedicated track car. Every time I have a pro driver take the helm of my car at the track, I am humbled, and realize there is more room for improvement in myself than the car
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Does a pro driver affect emissions levels?

Perhaps you would have had better luck with the Mazda3 if you had been a pro driver?

Why go with lightweight wheels on your RS4? Why waste extra coin on a 360 CS when a standard 360 in the hands of a pro is so much faster than the CS with you at the helm?

As you can see, I find the "mod the driver" cliche to be a bit tired.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default There is just a lot of untapped potential in most drivers. A visit to the track makes it clear.

I've been to enough driving schools to see the pattern. Why the hate for modding the driver? There is massive virtually always untapped potential, it's transferable, it's a perishable skill, etc.

Could I max out the capabilities of a base Mazda3? Maybe. But removing emissions devices from that car would not have changed it's capabilities appreciably, nor made it a better car overall. An S4 or RS4 is already a darned good car. Probably more capable than most drivers.

There are a lot of ways to mod a car without adding directly impacting the environment. Lightweight wheels or hi-po editions aside, none of our cars have disabled emissions devices. In fact I'm going to the track in a 180hp car with full emissions equipment this weekend. If I'm slow, then the fault is mine, and using more power will only cover my own deficiencies. It simply means I need to work harder
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default When I hear people suggest modding the driver, all I can think is

"You have no idea what you're talking about, but want to put on the image of knowing something so you can feel better about yourself."

Modding the driver does nothing to change the sound of the exhaust, it does nothing to change the feel of the suspension, it does nothing to change the steering, and it does nothing for straight line acceleration from a roll. For 98% of drivers driving 99.99% of the time, these are the things that bring enjoyment to the drive.

Removing a pre-cat has so little effect on emissions that the government doesn't care enough to check. The difference between a stock RS4 and an RS4 with gutted pre-cats is almost nothing. The difference between an RS4 and an A4 1.8T is enormous.

So, for someone concerned with emissions, why did you buy the much slower RS4 rather than going for the much faster A4 + modded driver?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's not that at all! I've even instructed newbs at the school! It's a great feeling when you can

see the lightbulb go on in their head, and they get it. Usually some point on Sunday morning, after being thoroughly dejected to find out on Saturday that they aren't the next Schumacher;-) It's also fun to see the guy a utterly stock 2.0 Jetta zooming around the guy in the Viper (who keeps spinning out). Or other guys who show up in very modified machinery who soon realize that the mods they thought would make their car fast, are perhaps not the mods best suited for their current stage of driver experience. Their priorities shift before your eyes. It's very cool!

There was a fellow in the club that known for having been a hot shoe, but was experiencing a gradual decline in health, so he worked the timing booth instead. Somehow during a time trial at the big track at Willow Springs (a high speed track), he was goaded into taking out a fwd 200hp Alfa 164 on all season tires. After 3 laps he set the record for the weekend (and the Alfa club lets any cars run, not just Alfas - there were seriously fast cars there). He parked the car and went back to timing. It was a humbling moment for everyone.

I am all for changing the car to suit the driver - just not ones that impact the environment when compared to stock. My daily Alfa has a cone intake and Supersprint rear box to get closer to the sound I want. Due to fan wash and heated engine bay air, the stock airbox actually makes more torque, so sometimes the stock intake goes back on for track events. Our other Alfas are much more modified, but still carry full emissions equipment.

As for why RS4 vs A4, you need to ask the Hubby. He picked the car and it's his daily :-D He likes highway speed runs, while I like canyon twisties. We both attend track events as often as schedule allows. So I'd like to think we are doing our best to mod the driver

Quick Reply: Pggy pipes