RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Possible new RS4 owner - coming from an M3 - advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new RS4 owner - coming from an M3 - advice needed!

Hey guys. A little about myself. My name is Chris and I currently own a modded BMW e46 m3. I am an extremely active, well known member on the m3 forums. I have been entertaining the idea of getting into something new and different and the RS4 has always been a favorite of mine. In fact, when I was looking for my m3, the rs4 was the only other car I was considering. Always have loved the styling and performance Audi has brought to the table over the years.

Since I have been looking around for something a bit more geared towards an all weather car, the rs4 has always been on my mind. I am looking for something that can handle my soon to be growing family, but still be able to take it to the track or some nice curvy, country back roads on the way to work.

I am a huge gear head and love to mod my cars. I am not one to go to the extremes and do anything crazy. I like my cars, aggressive, mean, simple, but practical. The RS4 seems to have a great platform to work off of.

Now, my concerns with this car are simply due to the facts of the issues it has. Obviously, any car has it's little quarks and problems. The e46 m3 is a car that has it's issues too, so I am familiar with big price problems that you need to stay on top of. My concerns are the carbon build up mainly. I have read about the bleeding shocks, but I would most likely replace them with a coilover anyway. However, the carbon build up seems to be a big ticket issue. Can anyone explain to me a bit how often should one perform the cleaning? Approximate costs?

How is the maintenance? Oil changes? I am a very DIY'er so oil changes and such are not an issue. With my m3, it has inspection 1 and inspection 2 every ~30k miles. I do my oil changes every 7000 (BMW says 15k, but we all change it usually around 6-7.5K to keep things running smoothly). Inspections consist of all fluid changes, valve adjustments, etc. DIY'ing the Inspections usually range anywhere from 800-1500 dollars from parts and tools needed. Only reason why I am naming all these details is because I am trying to gauge if it's relatively the same with the RS4 in terms of intervals and pricing.

Reliability. How is the RS4? I like just getting in my cars, starting it up, and going. Road trips, the track, to work, etc. I need something that can handle my every day life style and still put a smile on my face.

Pricing. It seems like they are going anywhere for upper 30's (higher mileage) to mid to upper 40's (lower miles). I know this is an Audi forum, but when you look into the pricing of these, the e90 (sedan) m3 is right there. The specs of each are pretty close to one another, so I am trying to gauge some opinions on the differences. Also, any other information needed of what to look for/look out for would be very helpful.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course, what's a thread without pics! Here are a few of my current m3. Thanks everyone!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your car looks sweet! I love the stance! and a great track car indeed! I LOVE my RS4!!!! and it sounds like you and I have the same plans for the car. For me its a daily driver to a professional garage kept work environment. So I couldn't have anything too flashy or immature looking. I like my occasional track events (say 2-3x per year) and I enjoy something that I can fit the fam in for road trips to the beach etc. For me the RS4 is the exact car for that! Maintenance has been equivalent to what you described. I have only had my car coming up on a year in September. There have been no surprises at all!! Very reliable car, that I can get in every morning and start up and get to work as well as beat on it in the EXTREME heat we've had this summer on the track, and she holds up well! I even put the stock oem brake fluid in for this last track event 2 weeknds ago and temps were over 102 the whole weekend, and never lost any brake pressure.

The infamous "carbon cleans" I had mine done about 2 weeks after I bought the car in September, after reading all of the info on the web. Yes it is very true that we have a carbon issue, but honestly here's my take on it. Obviously there are owners who have had their car much longer than me, and can give you more details. I did notice a huge difference when I had it cleaned at about 43k miles. A friend with almost same mileage RS4 and myself used to do pulls before and after carbon cleans and we could see the difference in power very easily. We also confirmed this on the dyno of about 25-30whp. Now after about 18k since my carbon clean, I can't say I feel much of a difference from my "butt dyno" I did do some pulls with another RS4 recently and we both had about 58k miles and his car was never carbon cleaned, and we were pretty even. Now that I've just recently gotten a tune...the car is so much more responsive especially in the lower rpms that maybe its covering up my carbon build up. I have not been back to a dyno since the fall...as I've been told, NA cars lose major power in the heat and humidity, so to me its no real point, Especially in HotLanta LOL. The shop in Maryland that I went to charged around $850 for the carbon clean. I've recently moved to Altanta, and a friend told me he found a shop to do a carbon clean for around $500...So I will check this shop out one day when I have an extra $500 sitting around. (baby on the way) But honestly, I love this car! If this shop can do it for $500 then I can see doing a clean maybe once every 15-20k miles or so. But like I said, right now my car is running great..and pulls very strong. So I'm not concerned with or noticed any power loss recently.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, thanks so much for the feedback BADRS4! I appreciate the comments as well Definitely what I was looking to hear. 2-3 track events are what I do per year, so seems like we are in the same page. I recently bought a home and engaged, so it would be nice to have something with 4 doors that can put a nice grin on my face. I love my m3 and definitely will have a hard time letting it go, but the rs4 does look like a great alternative that is outside the BMW world. Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's and the M cars, but I am a huge car enthusiast and want to try different spectrum to get a well rounded idea of automobiles. I enjoy everything from driving them to washing them. It's a hobby of mine that I really enjoy and helps me put the everyday stress on the back burner for a bit when I am with the car.

Thanks for the feedback on the carbon cleaning. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to have it cleaned. It's a shame this car falls victim to it, but I was expecting a bit more! Also, it's nice to see the cars hold their value pretty well. I remember looking 3-4 years ago at the rs4's while looking for an m3 and they seem to be right around the same price range they are being sold today. Little less, but not much.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Any more input is greatly welcome!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

No prob! This is deftly the car for you! I was engaged when I bought mine as well! Still nothing excites me more...I test drove the B8 S4 in a manual was very un-impressed. LOL It felt like I was driving a camry! Yet I love the look of the B8 S4 (That's the new body, if you're not familiar with Audi talk). But nothing gets my adrenaline going more than starting up the RS4 each morning or detailing, or fooling around with in the garage! It's a great hobby! So don't feel bad...you are amongst family! Also, once you get yours I'll share some other forums that more RS4's are more active on. But make no mistakes, this is the car for you! pick a color you like, and grab it! I honestly want to keep this car for a long time! Sure there are some faster more efficient cars on the market today. But something about the soul of this V8 that sets it apart!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeas indeed we are sick ones. I too came from a BMW, 2 actually. An M5 for the summer and 330xi for the winter. Then the RS4 was announced. It was like getting two birds stoned at once. One car that can be enjoyed year around and outperforms both of the bimmers in their element.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BADRS4
No prob! This is deftly the car for you! I was engaged when I bought mine as well! Still nothing excites me more...I test drove the B8 S4 in a manual was very un-impressed. LOL It felt like I was driving a camry! Yet I love the look of the B8 S4 (That's the new body, if you're not familiar with Audi talk). But nothing gets my adrenaline going more than starting up the RS4 each morning or detailing, or fooling around with in the garage! It's a great hobby! So don't feel bad...you are amongst family! Also, once you get yours I'll share some other forums that more RS4's are more active on. But make no mistakes, this is the car for you! pick a color you like, and grab it! I honestly want to keep this car for a long time! Sure there are some faster more efficient cars on the market today. But something about the soul of this V8 that sets it apart!
I definitely am looking for a great V8 sound. I am a sound enthusiast and love changing up exhaust pieces to get the best sound. I've been through around 10 separate setups on my m3 haha. I'm liking the tubi exhaust with down pipes on the rs4.

Let me know some other RS4 forums that other rs4 owners are more active on. I want to read up on the car as much as I can!

As per color, I want to stay away from black. I have been an avid car detailer for many years and told myself I would never get another black car. Sure enough I came across my current car and couldn't pass it up. Love the color, but so much work to keep it clean and swirl free. I am pretty **** when it comes to that so I need something a bit more forgiving. I was thinking of a red, blue, or gray.

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Yeas indeed we are sick ones. I too came from a BMW, 2 actually. An M5 for the summer and 330xi for the winter. Then the RS4 was announced. It was like getting two birds stoned at once. One car that can be enjoyed year around and outperforms both of the bimmers in their element.
Glad to hear there are some BMW people here to get some honest feedback. We have a 2012 Jeep that we use mainly for everyday/bad weather, but I keep my car garaged most of the time. I would love to have something that can both battle the heat of summer and blizzards in winter. The RS4 sounds like it's just the ticket!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We keep our RS4 garaged kept. Its a weekend warrior and used for summer time fun. I have no issues at 56,000 miles. From the maintenance records, the previous owner had the following items replaced. Rear window, pillar cover, shocks, and the antenna. Thas all I saw. I had an B6 S4 before that. During the 92,000 miles we owned it, 1 O2 sensor, recall to replace coil packs, and 2 window regulators was about it. BTW We have a 2003 E46 M3, carbon black like yours. My wife uses it as a daily driver. I drive a 99' Jeep or a 2006 ZX-14R.

Last edited by VADER332; 07-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by VADER332
We keep our RS4 garaged kept. Its a weekend warrior and used for summer time fun. I have no issues at 56,000 miles. From the maintenance records, the previous owner had shock replaced, rear window replaced, and a pillar and antenna. Thas all I saw. I had an B6S4 before that. During the 92,000 miles we owned it1 O2 sensor, recall to replace coil packs, and 2 window regulators. Thats all. BTW We have a 2003 E46 M3, carbon black like yours. My wife uses that as a daily driver, and I drive a 99' Jeep or a ZX-14R.
That is great to hear. Audi's are definitely great cars. I had a VW back in the day and I was happy with it. Thanks for the feedback! Awesome that your wife uses the M as a daily. They are great cars!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Great to know

That there is a new potential member! I had the carbon clean done about a month after I bought mine and BOOM, instant night and day difference. I guess my only input is to keep looking out for one you want, and jump on it. I was in the market for the M3 Sedan and the RS4. Truth be told, after the doing test drives in both, I was sold on the RS4 immediately. AWD for the nasty winters in Canada and awesome RWD biased performance for the summer. I couldn't be happier.

Hope you find the one you want and start enjoying the lovely V8 from the RS4!

Cheers!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Now after about 18k since my carbon clean, I can't say I feel much of a difference from my "butt dyno" I did do some pulls with another RS4 recently and we both had about 58k miles and his car was never carbon cleaned, and we were pretty even.
I guess now you see what I was talking about before. While there may be a gap on a dyno, as far as real world performance through the gears, it's not dramatic.

Quick Reply: Possible new RS4 owner - coming from an M3 - advice needed!