RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Problems w/clutch anyone, apart from hose on launch vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems w/clutch anyone, apart from hose on launch vehicles?

Back in Jan., slowly noticed that shifting into 1st was becoming difficult, sometimes impossible, unless first shifting into 3rd or 4th - somehow this seemed to clear the gate.

Took into dealer and, while my RS4 was a launch vehicle, the VIN wasn't on their list as needing a new hose (had about 8K miles on it at this point). However, that's how they diagnozed the problem and so they replaced the hose. After this, things seemed fine for a while but then the problem came back, although differently.

This time, shifting into 1st problem was more intermittant - always bad when starting from cold, but for the most part (though not always) it was OK when car had been running for 30 minutes or so.

After visit to dealer today, they believe issue is now pressure plate and have new one on order. Also, they think that late replacement of hose (although no probs observed during first 7K or 8K miles) maybe contributed to damaging the presure plate.

This is the only problem I've encountered with the RS4 so far, so I'm cool with it but just curious if any others have had similar issues. BTW, no super hard launches or clutch abuse here so that's not the cause of this.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe you have a slow leak in your clutch hydraulic circuit.

Have you noticed your brake fluid level going down?

The improved shifting after warming up makes it sound like your first gear syncro may have been damaged. In what situations do you normally shift into first gear aside from taking off from a stop?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There aren't any signs of fliud loss and in answer to your other question...

never. I should have mentioned that when it's hard to shift into 1st, 2nd and reverse are the same - only shifting into 3rd or 4th is easier and then somehow this clears the 1 - 2 gate.