RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

PSA: these are available...anyone used one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: these are available...anyone used one?

Another question: When downloading music to SD, can you download entire album/CD as a file? I've only been able to do songs from itunes, so ALL songs appear in alphabetical order--no choice for artis or album. TIA heres the link http://www.memorysuppliers.com/tr8gbhicased.html?productid=tr8gbhicased&chann elid=NEXTA
Old 11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That card is "SDHC" (high capacity), not "SD". Won't work in the car. Sorry.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the response, but sais...

fully compatible with 2.0 SD...Doesn't that mean it should work?? They do have a window of opport. for return, I guess.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My SD experience......

Initially was only able to load 329MB worth of music onto the 2GB SD card. Played fine, but there were all these duplicate files which were unplayable that seemed to appear on my display screen. These files DIDN'T appear when the SD card was linked to my computer. Talked to a software buddy of mine and he told me it was a formatting problem. Went and erased and reformatted the SD card and reloaded the music. Now the SD card works great with my computer, but I get a "data corrupted" message when I insert it into the NAV slot.

Any suggestions. BTW, this is done with a MacBook Pro, so it could be a "Mac thing" as well, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default explanation....

Mac OS likes to make hidden files that you normally don't see when your on your mac. What probably happened is when you inserted it into the nav your saw something like this:
._your_song.mp3
your_song.mp3

Basically one of the hidden files made it onto the disc and the nav sees it, the files are the same as the song name but it has a ._ in front of it. Any file that starts with a . in OS X (and unix for that matter, which osx is based on) will be a hidden file.

What I do is use the terminal app and wipe all the hidden files using Unix commands, but you need a basic understanding of unix commands to do this. I've been meaning to write a little script so I can just copy whatever I want in OS X onto my card and then have the script delete the hidden files. I'll let you know if I ever get around to it.

On the formatting note, make sure to format the card in Fat32 format. This is rather important.

Also I successfully use a 4gb SD card in my nav, so you should be able to store more then 329mb of music.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

i would just stick to standard SD, its guaranteed to work
Old 11-30-2007, 12:28 PM

what brand of 4GB card are you using? Can't find any reg SD card all SDHC
Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Any idea on the "data corrupted" message I get from the car?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's photofast Hi SPD 4GB SD (170X)

This is where I got it, but its back-ordered<ul><li><a href="http://www.titannotebook.com/product/flash_memory/DMSDUL4GB.asp">http://www.titannotebook.com/product/flash_memory/DMSDUL4GB.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had a similar problem...

My Nav kept saying that the Nav DVD was not really a Nav DVD, and eventually the unit started to freak out and constantly reboot itself. I thought the Nav went nuts and I was gonna goto the dealer. Then one day I took the card out and everything was fine.

At that point I did full-format on the SD card (generally takes a while, not a few seconds like a quick format) and re-added my songs to it, and since then the unit has been fine.

So I would try that and see if it helps, my guess you still don't have the formatting right.

Quick Reply: PSA: these are available...anyone used one?