RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Question on Extras

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Extras

Got the call that my 08 just arrived from my sales guy. About an hour later I get a call from someone else at the dealership offering Window Tinting ($650), Clearbra (bumpers only $500), Rim/Tire Insurance ($675). Seemed like a royal rip-off to me. I asked about an extended warranty, which I may be keen on, but he quoted me $2,800 for 3 years on after the 4 yr std expired. That also seems high to me.

I do plan on keeping the car for a while (7-10 yrs -- currently have an 00 S4 with only 21.5k miles on it). He said the warranty was thru Audi, and unfortunately I've been burned before (took out a warranty gold contract after much research on this site and others only to have them go belly up leaving me with a worthless piece of paper).

Given that I probably won't put on more then 4k a year it probably doesn't make sense to do, or at least put if off until I get closer to the end of the std warranty.

Would be interested in hearing anyones thoughts

Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is exactly what it seems...ripoff.

dealerships offer all that bullsh1t to make more money. quite frankly it's usually LESSER dealerships, the good ones have more respect for their customers.

wait on the extended warranty until just before the factory warranty expires....you don't need it before then anyway, and the price will go down (as long as you buy it BEFORE the factory warranty expires).
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2nd.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unless you feel you need specific coverage for certain items, pass on these.

You may add a basic coverage warranty at any time while the car is covered under the original warranty. Yes, the rate may go up a bit the longer you wait, but your options remain open much longer, which is usually in your interest. If you want an extended warranty, see the dealer about 4 months before the factory warranty ends.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...

Tinting seems high even if it's the best tint out there right now.

Clear bra is a good price, but at that price it sounds like a kit will be used. Kits never look as good as custom b/c it's in pieces rather then one piece to cover the entire bumper. Over time the pieces will get wax, dirt etc on the edges and they will be very noticeable.

Rim/Tire insurance doesn't sound so bad depending on what they offer. These wheels cost $400 from the dealer so if you had to replace one tire and one wheel through the dealer it would almost cost that. I would check to see if they replace a damaged wheel or if they repair it. If they only repair then I would skip.

As for the warranty, you don't have to get it right now, so you have time to shop around.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Did you pick up the service package for 4yr/50K?

Might be worth it depending on price.

The wheel and tire coverage seems a bit high but it should cover your wheels and tires for the life of your loan or a set mileage and it includes road hazard on tires. I opted for this do to some crappy roads I drive on around town and the interstate are littered with crap from time to time.

I don't like any clear bras so I always skip those and the tint price is outrageous a good tint shop should be able to give you lifetime warranty tint for around $300
Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just picked up an '07 CPO RS4 and.......

the dealer offered to tack on the other extra's but honestly I didn't need them. The only option I opted for was the Road Hazard package. They replace tire and rim for 5 yrs. I get the 4yr standard warranty + 2 yr CPO warranty. It's good for up to 100k miles.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM

Default AudiCare maintenance

I bought AudiCare and seems like a fantastic deal for all scheduled maintenance including oil changes and top offs at the fraction of the cost.

Tinting is great but $650 sounds really high. Mine were tinted already tinted but dealer didn't charge extra (I guess they did it as a part of the custom paint). They did use it to negotiate down $200 on my trade though.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'd hold out for the $250 wax job that lasts forever. Worth it never having to wax again.

Now you know how I feel about these dealer add-ons. BS!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Question on Extras

You're getting jacked on tint. The rest is pretty fair. I don't know much about clear bras though.

Quick Reply: Question on Extras