RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Question on iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on iPod Integration

I am purchasing a new "08 RS4 tomorrow and it came from the factory with the cd changer in the glovebox. I told them I wanted the iPod instead and obviously since it is at the end of the production run they cannot order one. They called today and told me that they can go one of two routes: have an aftermarket shop install a fm modulator and play the ipod through the radio and playlists will not appear on the screen OR do it with Audi parts and it will appear on screen but it will cost in upwards of $1000.

Is any of this true? Does anyone know the correct way for it to be done in order to display playlists on the nav screen? Is the price outrageous? Please help out a soon to be fellow RS4 buddy. Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi OEM iPod connector does not display track/playlist info on screen

...but the SD card reader/player does.

If you are set on iPod, but can live without playlist/track information, <a href="http://www.dension.com">Dension</a> has a unit that works just a little bit better than the Audi OEM unit at less than half that price. You can also make it work with your CD changer and add USB input, video input and a few other accessories if you like.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Audi's ipod integration is not worth it, even if it were $500. It sucks. So that's a big skip at $1k

Also, integration with an FM channels sucks especially if you're traveling or near large cities. It's just a sh1tty way to integrate your iPod to a car in general.

You will be disappointed with either route. Don't waste your money.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You won't be too happy going with the Audi parts.

The iPod adapter, which replaces the CD changer in the glove compartment, will NOT display anything on the screen. Our cars are at least a full electronics generation back of the current A6 and A8, which offer complete iPod functionality through the "Audi Music Interface." The factory iPod adaptor on the RS 4 offers far less.

On the A4, S4, and RS 4, all the iPod adaptor does is fool the car into thinking that the first six playlists on your iPod are "CD1" through "CD6." Then, on each "CD," you will only see "Track 01" through "Track XX," depending upon how many songs you put into that particular playlist.

There are others on this board who can recommend various aftermarket products that are more than just FM repeaters and that will do most of what you are seeking. A search of this and other AW forums will show you some past threads on this topic.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Audi OEM iPod connector does not display track/playlist info on screen

So does any system out there capable of displaying playlist/song titles? Also, the USA dension site says they are no longer selling in the USA. So if I did want to purchase it where should I go? Does anyone sell anything that doesn't have a sloppy wire and a loose ipoad in the glovebox. I guess I am looking for a concealed housing (not a dash cradle) and sort of fixed in place. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Audi OEM iPod connector does not display track/playlist info on screen

I personally haven't found anything that interfaces with the iPod that will display track/playlist information on the head unit that we have (or any Audi head unit for A4/S4/RS4.) I was on an obsessive compulsive mission too! LOL!

For Dension in North America, try <a href="http://www.automobilitydistribution.com/e/automobility.asp?s=175586943797HJH&Category=125">A uto Mobility Distribution</a> in Canada. That's the distributor my local shop used to get the <a href="http://www.dension.com/GW100.php">Gateway 100</a> for my old TT. I have also read other posts where consumers from the US have contacted them for help.

Dension also has <a href="http://www.dension.com/icelinkaccessories.php">cradles and other accessories</a> that you can mount anywhere, including the glove box.

Seriously though, the answer is the SD cards. Go get a couple of cheap 2GB cards for $25 (and a card reader if you don't have one.) You can load up to approximately 500 songs per card depending on your file size. (The MP3 player in the head unit will only allow for up to 512 files, including playlists, regardless of card size.) I generally just leave them in the car all the time. Out of sight and out of mind, displays all track/playlist info and is easy to manage.

Either way, good luck. If you stumble across anything else that works, let us know.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I thought that we could get the info displayed

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/61794.phtml">XLink</a></li></ul>
Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Anybody used it?

The website sounds kind of vague on what and how it will display. The user manual doesn't show a picture of our head unit, rather the Symphony head unit.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I thought that we could get the info displayed

Reggie, Did you get one of these iPod interfaces?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default No - I think that they are working on one that does display all the info

I will purchase one of these when it comes out.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/62094.phtml">X postr</a></li></ul>