RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

raced with an M6 coming back from the dealer

Old 11-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raced with an M6 coming back from the dealer

I finally got my RS4 back, after leaving it at the dealer on Monday.

Fixed the rattling problem in the center console
Fixed the clutch issues - replaced a controller for the cruise control and replaced a safety switch for the neutral starter - it was causing a clicking and squeakiness in the clutch.

So I'm driving on the freeway, enjoying the feel of the car again...and I see an my rearview mirror a blue M6 coupe right on my butt.

I pull to the right and let him come up to me. Then it takes off and pulls away. I downshift into 4th, already in S mode, and chase after it. I was shocked when I literally caught it, no full throttle. The power was immediate and responsive (I'm at 1450 miles now). He started weaving through the traffic, and I stayed with him with little effort. Great handling and road feel!

At one point, I had to slam on the brakes (great brakes...stopped the car, tires smoking, tail shimmied a bit) as it squeezed into a closing lane, but I went around a different lane and caught it again.

Ultimately I passed it and let him pull up to me. The guy was coy. We gave each other a thumbs up, and I took off.

Was very cool. I also probably had more fun than he did.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did they tell you what the cause of the rattling center console is?

Mine is doing it too.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: raced with an M6 coming back from the dealer

I won't bother giving you a lecture on your naughty behavior (like some may) because I'm guilty of similar things. And it's a fun car. But I will caution about doing what you describe before you get some more miles under your belt in your car.

In my case, at least, I was quite surprised to find how the car responded in certain circumstances and nearly had a few accidents in the first few weeks because it had more power than I expected. Sounds like you might be having similar issues if you're smoking your tires on a busy highway.

So, enjoy it but break it in a little on empty roads first!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

can either of you please describe the center console rattle?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Easy there...

The M6 is a very fast car. Given that there was traffic, it's pretty safe to assume that he wasn't giving it full throttle just as you weren't. Nonetheless, it's fun to play. Just be careful. If you're going to play in traffic, expect the unexpected.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: raced with an M6 coming back from the dealer

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't help myself. I've had cars want to race my Porsche GT2, but I won't (well I did once with a crotch rocket), because I know how much power I have with no traction control.

The RS4 is such a great handling machine combined with controlled power that's irresistibly fun.

I've also been breaking in according to the manual and RI RS4's advice...It's been a hard, fun break-in.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Did they tell you what the cause of the rattling center console is?

They had to remove the middle console area. There were some pieces that were under the gearbox area that were banging. It was VERY annoying. They lined them with felt to stabilize them.

I didn't get to see what they were referring to, but it went away.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: can either of you please describe the center console rattle?

Rattling and squeaking sounds coming from the armrest and cupholder area. Sometimes it would occur even on smooth roads. At times it the volume of the rattling and squeaking was strong (like staccato), at other times softer, and would even disappear, just to restart again.

Inexplicably, the sounds started at around 800 miles. I've heard of some folks having it, so maybe it's a build issue on some cars.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It sounds like a steel rule on a slightly convex workbench in the back of a truck with knobbly tires

slapping itself on the surface of the workbench as the truck goes down a bumpy road. At least mine sounds that way to me. Slap-slap-slappity-slap.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, it was a dikfor...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: raced with an M6 coming back from the dealer