RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Radar Detectors--how cops feel about them (a good read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detectors--how cops feel about them (a good read)

very insightful

(borrowed from rennlist)<ul><li><a href="http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57808">http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57808</a</li></ul>
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best comment of the bunch

The top of the line radar detectors can be effective even if we're using instant on radar. The top 3 or 4 detectors can receive warnings up to 2 miles away and have very few false alerts. They've come a long way in the last 3 or 4 years. Newer detectors are invisible to a VG-2 as well. Heck, some will even detect if you have a VG-2 and go into stealth mode. I've been asking to get Spectre RDD's for a while now. They will detect all but one of the newer radar detectors. VSP seems to be happy with the crappy VG-2 though.

LIDAR and other lasers cannot get a reading a mile away. The beam gets wider the further out it goes, just like radar. Laser reflects just like radar, just not as much. The top detectors can pick up these reflections from a fair distance away. One court in the northeast (New Jersey I think) will not accept laser tickets for further than 1000 feet.

As long as many of us think that RD's don't work, these guys will have a leg up on us. The fact is that they do work and work well. There are cheap detectors that are junk (Cobra), but the top of the line detectors are very effective.

I use instant on and visual estimations as much as possible to combat radar detectors. I'll sit in one spot and not activate my radar for 10 or 15 minutes trying to get a high roller. It's about all I can do without a new Spectre.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default not as good as

"If you make it to the academy, make sure you have your radar detector proudly displayed. Your academy instructors will be so impressed with it, they will make you wear it around your neck for the first week.
Every time an instructor gets close to you, you have to say beep beep just like your radar detector does."
Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Quite a few self-righteous a$$holes over there...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow, we must be wasting our monies on this techno crap then...

funny since a lot of us haven't had a speeding ticket in years

I love cops
Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cops in my area suck (as I'm sure they do in everyone elses)....

they abuse their power by running lights when there is no emergency, talking on their cell phones (when it's illegal in my state), causing more traffic by turning their lights on and making everyone move over b/c they "have" to get through, and don't wear seatbelts.

A cop helped me propose to my wife (I guess they aren't all bad). The first thing I did when I got into his car was try to buckle up. Well I couldn't find the buckle b/c it was under a bunch of crap. When I told the cop I couldn't find it he said "don't worry about it, most of us don't wear them anyway b/c it slows us down when we need to jump out of the car"

I also see around 2 cops a month late at night run a light without turning their lights on or a cop turning their lights on just to run the light. To me if a cop doesn't have his siren on I don't think it's an emergency.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you know the difference between a cop and a criminal?.....

A badge.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I personally have next to no respect for cops

The only police officers I really have any respect for are those that work in cities/areas where they put their time / effort towards fighting actual crimes. Most of these dressed up meter maids just give tickets blindly, they're almost all for speeding and half the time its subjective.

Accidents / capita are much lower in europe and other countries where they have higher speed limits. It's not speed thats the problem, its bad drivers. Instead of working towards increasing driver education and skills, more tax dollars are spent towards putting more cops out there. That does next to nothing if you ask me.

Over the last 20 years cars have gotten safer, faster and have more control, yet speed limits have essentially stayed the same. If the government actually cared about speed itself and not raising more money through tickets and having cops fill ticket quotas... they'd put in timed lights almost every where. Many larger cities, like NYC and SF have timed lights where if you go anything close to the speed limit posted you can go on a flurry of green lights. If you go to slow (a problem for which people aren't nearly penalized enough), or too fast, you hit red lights.

Another solution would be to designate different speeds to different lanes on the highway. On a 4 lane free way you could have lanes of 65 / 72 / 80 / 90 or so and people wouldn't have to swerve in and out of lanes etc. Traffic would also move a lot smoother and people wouldn't be wasting as much gas speeding up and slowing down as they hit pockets of traffic.

This whole image/stigma that speed = unsafe is one of the most retarded things about the traffic laws in this country.

&lt;/vent off&gt;
Old 01-15-2007, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I really enjoyed driving in England...

the *fast* lane is for overtaking only.
Essentially, you stay in the slowest lane until you need to pass someone ahead of you, assuming traffic is sparce. When it's more crowded, lane #2 is really the *fast* lane, and #1 is the passing lane.
Always seemed to work. I never saw someone to my left going faster than me, or to my right going slower.

...and I completely agree that people here are just bad drivers who don't know how to control their oversized SUVs.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

very well said...

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors--how cops feel about them (a good read)