RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Rear Ended and Paint Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Ended and Paint Repairs

I was rear ended today at a stop light and by a Harley no less. I was turning right on a right-turn-on-red intersection and was stopped for traffic when this idiot gunned his biked and ran into my LR. The bumper cover is trashed, the LR light assembly broken and there is a small cut/dent in the LR quarter panel.

I was pissed!

The bumper cover is three weeks away in Germany. The estimated cost is about $3K plus rental car. I think I should have an S-4 or ?for a rental car...any advice?

The critical question-what to expect from the repaint? I'm hoping to have the local top end body shop (Alpine in Salt Lake City) do the repairs. Can they really match the paint? Will it be "softer" than the OEM paint?

Any advice on insurance? I want the best for my baby. I don't want to be forced into some cheapo shop. This is my first accident in 46 years...not a typo...nada, not one accident!

Thanks,

DG
Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default damn...that blows.

what happened to the Harley?

i'd probably start by asking your dealership who they'd recommend for the repairs.

i had to get a front fender repainted on a 2-week old bimmer...they matched the paint perfectly (to my eyes), so it's possible.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have my own body business and you can take your car anywhere you want.

Let the body shop know that you are going to be VERY VERY critical of the repairs because of the rarity of the car. The color should be dead on because if the shop you go to has the right equipment they really can't mess up the color match.

Just tell them to take their time and make it perfect and ask for the best body man and the best paint man for the job. Actually ask to meet them and ask to see their work. Have them take you around back and look at some of their finished work. Check the side panels out very carefully and look for any waves or dry spots in the paint.

Good luck and post your experience!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Re: damn...that blows.

Yeah, I went directly to the dealer after the 'incident' and they recomended Alpine and started the search for parts. I looked at some of the cars in the Alpine shop and they looked good.

The key question is paint and how to "panel beat" the small dent (1/4 inch) in the LR quater panel. These guys work on other aluminum bodied cars so they claim to know what they are doing.

The Harley lost a side head light and got a few scratches. Odd thing is I know the rider, he works for one of our subisidaries.

I'm expecting trouble from his insurance company, which nobody seems to know.

Do it get hit with higher insurance rates because of some idiot?

Thanks for the support.

DG
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi has a list of premium repair shops that work with the aluminum quarter panels,

that and, as below, asking the dealership is probably the best place to start.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default can the quarter be repaired by paintless and then put on a new bumper?

That would be ideal if the 1/4 panel wasn't scratched but rather dented.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: can the quarter be repaired by paintless and then put on a new bumper?

Unfortunately the paint is damaged in a small area where the dent/cut is deep. I'm hoping to avoid a full LR quarter panel paint job but maybe that is the best way.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you talked to Charlie Huebner at Strongs?

He's been around for a long time and would help you go to the right shop. I think he would probably point you to Alpine as well.

John