RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Recommendations on a simple solution for a aux input on a 2007 RS4

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on a simple solution for a aux input on a 2007 RS4

As the title says I am looking for a simple way to hook up a aux jack for my iPhone. I am not looking for total integration just the basics as I am mostly looking to use Internet radio apps and not iTunes. I also do not need any of the radio controls besides obviously volume.

I have read the countless iPod integration threads and i am not looking for something that complicated.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I retrofit an OEM AUX-IN jack (from the 8P A3/S3) in the felt/carpeted trim under the armrest.

Provides an auxilary in connection for an iPod/iPhone and gives me sufficient functionality. In saying that, I never use it!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alister
I retrofit an OEM AUX-IN jack (from the 8P A3/S3) in the felt/carpeted trim under the armrest.

Provides an auxilary in connection for an iPod/iPhone and gives me sufficient functionality. In saying that, I never use it!
Can you provide me with any links to this integration?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep I did mine....it is very simple...I followed a forum on audiworld that had all the steps....very detailed with pics. To summarize you need the updated Nav Disc 2010 or newer. and you need to have VAGcom to change the codes to accept the Aux Input into the RNS-E radio....and I bought the parts from a web Audi dealer $45 with shipping...and it literally took 30 mins to wire up and it plugs right into the back of the radio in the existing wiring harness. Oh and you need the radio keys to remove the radio ($20 on ebay or amazon). I'll look for the link to the forum...But mine works great....and you get the actual screen to say "Aux In" on the radio and inside the dash...sound quality is great!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://audiforum.us/threads/aux-input.6322/page-7

Not sure if you have to be a member to access this forum....but this is what I followed..step by step including the part #'s for the audi harness and wiring to tie directly into the RNS-E. Make sure when you buy the Radio Key's that it specifically says "fits RNS-E radio" I messed up and bought some that were general keys for "euro cars" or "fits audi" and had to send them back.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for finding that link. Which blank slot did you use for the aux port input in the dash? Does the wire physically get in the way of the nav or buttons? Does it fit better in our cars than that A3 it looked cheesy in that pic. Too rigged looking if you know what I'm saying.

Thanks again
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually left the aux input switch sitting behind my RNS-E just loose with the wiring attached. I had an extra male to male (about 3 feet long) aux cable sitting around the house. I plugged one side of into the Audi Aux Input switch in the space behind the RNS-E and ran it down the side of the console and just pushed it thru down on the side of the passenger side floor panel. In other words, the wire is just coming out near the floor..and whenever I'm not using the aux cable, I either leave it on the passenger floor...or tuck it under the passenger floor mat. I just didn't like the look of the Aux input on my dash. I agree with you it looks cheesy for our cars. The other option I've seen is having a hole drilled under the arm rest just small enough to squeeze only the 1/16 inch female aux input to fit thru and mount it under the armrest near the 2nd cigarette lighter, if I have more time or extra money to pay a guy to wire it under the center console I may do that one day. But I'm totally fine with the cord just hanging near the passenger floor mat for now....No one can see it...and it keeps the dash stock and clean the way I like it.