RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Review on the JHM "Improved" Short Shift Kit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review on the JHM "Improved" Short Shift Kit Upgrade

Sorry for the long post....

But, as we are all aware the JHM short shift kit was a very difficult shifter to adjust to get it 'just right'. The JHM kit is a great product, but had a very small window for adjustment that may have caused problems or may have deterred them away from even attempting this kit.

Just a little short history with my experience on this product. A few months ago I purchased the JHM kit and couldn't wait to install. The install was straightforward, however my first experience with adjusting it took about two hours (without the Tilt Wheel / Angle finder). Once I had it adjusted, it still wasn't perfect...but, I settled because of the frustration I went through. Every week after that, for about two weeks, I tried to get it perfect....to no avail. After the third week...I gave up and purchased a tilt wheel / angle finder to get that 3 degrees to the right and 7 degrees to the back adjust ment to get it perfect. I had it set to this...but found that the only way to get these settings was to have the shifter pushed all the way to the front of the car (most of us prefer the shifter to be closer to the rear of the car). To top that off, the shifter **** was a little crooked (the shift gate outline on the **** was rotated a few degrees counterclockwise) and 2nd and 4th gears were too notchy, to the point of it 'clanking'.

About a week after my final adjustment, I saw that there was an upgrade to the original shifter which allowed for an easier adjustment to this kit. I asked Jason at JHM if the upgrade would address my concerns from above and he said yes. Considering I've had such a positive experience with JHM already, I decided to give it a try...there was nothing to lose (except for performing the installation a few more times)...plus it was FREE (minus shipping to CA).

I eagerly awaited the return of my shifter. I installed the shifter two days ago, and I am EXTEREMELY happy with the product! It feels like a totally different product! It took me between 20-30 minutes to install AND adjust this kit! Each gear engages and shifts the same and smooth....no clanking on 2nd and 4th for me anymore. I was never 'rejected' by reverse during my adjustments....not once! haha. The window for adjustment is much larger now...which allowed me to position the shifter closer to the driver (towards the rear of the car)...PLUS...the **** is perfectly straight!

I totally recommend this kit now for anyone that wants to give it a try...you will NOT be disappointed. And if adjusting the shifter was preventing you from even thinking about the install...adjustment concerns are no longer existant! Thumbs up to Jason at JHM....this shifter is now perfect!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Damn you

just when I was going to wait a while before this mod
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Default Thx! I am having mine readjusted tomorrow, and at this stage ready to go back to stock if that fails

I am glad to hear there is a new solution and the company is providing this for free, but let's hope it doesn't come a tad too late for me. I have been running the JHM shifter for 2 months now, and am begining to hate every shift. I wrote a detailed post about it shortly after I had it installed, but here in a nutshell are some of the issues I am having:

1. Going into Reverse takes no effort and happens often when I really want to go into 1st gear. Even after 2 months of having the shifter installed, I am not used to the 'no spring' feel and it is a major PITA. I don't use vallets, but imagine what would happen is someone not used to this attempts to drive off in the car thinking he is in first when he is in reverse!
2. Going from 1st to 2nd feels like (and you can actually see the shifter move crookedly) going from 3rd to 2nd. It is not a straight line, but more like a mirror image "h".
3. 2nd gear sometimes pops out
4. Sometimes tough to get into 1st, especially when cold
5. 5th and 6th are way out to the right. I am hitting my passengers knees, and the **** seems way out of line and proportion.
6. There is a constant clanking metal sound when shifting, I suppose from the metal ball hitting the metal pivot. Not pleasant and noticeable even to passengers.
7. The **** seems to actually sit higher than stock, indicating to me that the lever may actually be longer than the stock lever.

So on top of the full price I paid for the assembly (circa $300), I have now separately purchased the 1 inch shorter lever, and a stiffer spring (circa $100). I recon that would help out at least problem 1, and hopefully 7. Adjusting it should clear ideally issues 2, amybe 3. But I am fearful some of the other issues noted will prevail, at which point I will go back to stock immediately and write off my considerable time and dollars as completely lost. Hoping not to reach that point, but will find out tomorrow. Stay tuned...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sounds like one major problem you have is the adjustment...

In my many adjustments for the past few months...prior to this final upgrade. I noticed that I was able to have it adjusted in such a way that it would actually go into reverse without even pressing the shifter down. Also, by misadjusting it....I could have the crooked shifting pattern you're experiencing.

The key is in the correct adjustment and everything else should be perfect after that. Start off with the 3 degrees to the right and 7 towards the rear. But, with this upgrade...I don't think it even matters as much anymore since the window of adjustment is much larger and will allow for easier adjustments.

Don't give up! Trust me, its worth the time it takes to get it working properly! For the week and half I didn't have the JHM kit (to get the upgrade)...I was hating how the stock shifter was not 'short'.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo you're gaining next to nothing as the stock shifter is one of the better OEM shifters
Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default LoL...no reason to stay away from this mod now...especially if potential customers were afraid of...

the adjustment process
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'll agree that the stock shifter is better in the fact that it is more comfortable (rubber bushings

...but the JHM kit feels more precise and solid. And it is definitely shorter than my stock one. I had to use the stock shifter for about a week and a half as my JHM kit was upgraded. I definitely felt/saw the difference in the throws
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Mr. SA my 2nd gear syncro is shot'.. 'mmm yeah you have an aftermarket shifter sorry we can't help'
Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. First car in my garage in a long time that didn't really "need" a SSK.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's why you take it out before you take it in. ha ha, that's funny.

Quick Reply: Review on the JHM "Improved" Short Shift Kit Upgrade