RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Review of Stasis Products: Alcon clutch and MS suspension (long read!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of Stasis Products: Alcon clutch and MS suspension (long read!)

My motto for when something breaks is to replace it with something better. Therefore, at 10,000 miles, when my brake fluid was low, my suspension shot, and my clutch slipping, it was time for me to upgrade: Stasis MS suspension, Stasis/Alcon cerametallic clutch disk, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, and 10 liters of Motul to boot.

MS Suspension
I was one of the unfortunate victims of DRC failure. In short, instead of trying to convince the dealer to do a warranty repair since I was just out of warranty, I skipped all that and went straight for the Stasis Motor Sport suspension. I'm glad I did.
All the good stuff about this kit is true. The handling is just incredible now. I have much more confidence with taking the car up to its limits, especially since understeer is almost totally eliminated and the 'wiggle' under high speed braking is gone. The MS kit has even inspired me to change my (on-the-limit) driving style with this car, from an aggressive (and abusive) rally-type driving style with left foot braking and plenty of induced oversteer, to a track-type driving style with clean lines and neat corner exits.

Stock clutch background
This post is mainly about the alcon clutch, however, and the news on that front isn't quite as good. On the stock clutch I performed over a hundred full-bore launches, and all of my 'performance' upshifts were powershifts (shifting as fast as possible). However, I do not beleive that these actions were what really killed my stock clutch- instead I suspect two specific instances of clutch abuse: 1) when I allowed a friend to attempt a launch and he didn't release the clutch fast enough, burning all the way through first. 2) when I was once stuck in horrible 1 mph traffic for 3+ hours uphill (next time I'll just pull over and wait!)
At this point, the stock clutch was slipping during powershifts.

Alcon clutch
I actually had a new OEM flywheel installed also, since the previous one was out-of-spec with rotational play and lateral play. For the first 500 miles I was very afraid of ruining the clutch so my break-in was a measured experience of careful non-slippage. The 'chatter' was not nearly as bad as I had prepared myself for. After 500 miles, I eagerly attempted my first powershift, from 2nd to 3rd: it felt a little iffy. I tried again from 1st to 2nd, and the clutch slipped badly. Needless to say, I was disappointed!

Note that the clutch holds full power just fine, in any gear. It is only during these full-bore upshifts that it will slip. I emailed Jason@stasis explaining this and we had a phone conversation. He was very empathic and surprised, saying I might be in uncharted territory since he had never heard of someone using an RS4 like I do. Jason agreed that I had used a proper break-in method and that the new clutch _should_ be able to hold the power. His hypothesis is that there is some type of restrictor that prevents the clutch from engaging too quickly (similar to the one on Mitsubishi Evos). He suggested possibly getting some stainless steel clutch lines fabricated.
I agree with Jason's hypothesis except for the fact that I was able to do these things on the stock clutch: this would have to mean that the properties of this proposed clutch restrictor have changed over time in order for the hypothesis to be true.

Since this all happened, I have put another 2000 miles on the car. The clutch is extremely 'livable' and 'streetable'. In terms of the 'daily-driving compromise' involved in switching to this clutch, it is a non-issue. This clutch would be ideal if it could hold all the power the car can throw at it.
My situation has not changed- everything still works except fast powershifts, and I haven't launched the car since the 9000 mile mark when my stock clutch started giving up. I haven't had much free time recently to investigate this issue further, but I would very much like to- I miss being able to powershift and launch this car.
Background note: all my shifts are rev-matched. I never ride the clutch or let it slip except for when starting from a stop of course.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Can you describe how you do a powershift?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Sure

Full throttle, as you reach redline:
Simultaneously stomp the clutch in and remove foot from throttle and yank the shifter into the next gear, then simultaneously release the clutch and floor the throttle. The whole process should take significantly less than a quarter of a second.

I apologize for the awkward terminology, I just wanted to discriminate this form of shifting from normal shifting in which you would wait for revs to decrease. Also, you may attempt shifting like this without taking your foot off the throttle, but I personally don't do it that way.
On a related note, see this thread for my description of launching procedure:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/threads/7187.phtml#86725">https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/threads/7187.phtml#86725</a</li></ul>
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What you describe is normal "fast" shifting, not powershifting.

The term "powershifting" is derived from the concept of being at full power, or full throttle, during the shift. Btw, the process couldn't get any easier than in the RS4 and S4.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed. That's the way I understand it.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM

Default We are in agreement, allow me to clarify:

I was not trying to insinuate that the way I shift was in any way special. I apologize again for the awkward terminology. I didn't even realize that "powershifting" was an established term, I made it up off the top of my head.
While this "normal" fast shifting as I described it is perfectly normal to you and me, in my experience, when I try to explain it to people, their reaction is one of surprise and bewilderment, commenting that "normal people don't shift that way."
THAT is the reason I wanted to be sure to differentiate it- I'm glad you recognize this as normal, as it seems that it is disappointingly unfamiliar to the majority of people I have met, even when these people are the kind of car people that one would assume are familiar with it.
For example, when I was discussing this with Jason at Stasis (and this is not meant to be insulting or demeaning to him at all), he said that he didn't believe that the car was designed to withstand this type of treatment, that he had never heard of an RS4 owner driving the car in this way.
Also, I was not complaining or commenting on the degree of difficulty or ease involved with this process in this car. I agree that it is very simple and intuitive- I wouldn't have tried to teach one of my friends how to launch it if I believed it was complex.
I am glad you see this behavior as normal. I have yet to decide what I am going to do to address this issue of my clutch not holding the shift. All I want is for the problem to be fixable. If you have any suggestions, I would welcome them.