RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Rotor rings part 2...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor rings part 2...

I contacted Jason at JHM about replacemnent rotor rings. He seemed interested, but it depends upon interest. I contacted zeckhausen first about the prospect of sourcing replacement RS4 rotor rings at a reasonable price. My tactic is to get several companies involved so that the probability of someone following through with it is higher. Both companies are great to deal with and provide quality products that are backed 100%. I provided useful technical info as well as a sales perspective on which they can do their own research to further decide their own direction. Her is what I sent them both:
" Hello,
I spoke with you for a while today about replacement rotor rings for the B7 RS4. Their doesn't appear to be an aftermarket or OEM option for rotor ring replacements on these cars equipt with the stock GT8 floating rotor brake system. The only option on these cars is to buy complete new rotor assemblies for ~$800/both front rotors. These rotors are field serviceable like any other brembo setup, and should be able to have the rings replaced individually as needed. Many people who have purchased these cars new simply installed Alcon setups with cheaper brake servicing and more pad/rotor options. Current developments have turned up cheaper and higher quality aftermarket pads for these cars. The market on the B7 RS4s have changed currently and are in the 40K range and will continue to drop. This will attract more budget minded owners that will not want to dump 4k on Alcons. I see a market for aftermarket replacement rotor rings for the following reasons:

1. More rotor options(Drilled, slotted, drilled/slotted or plain)
2. Cut owners brake maintenance costs. For example, the similar sized brembo rotor rings are ~200 ea. 2/$400 vs. 2/$800 OEM
3. The stock rotor are not vaned for specific vehicle sides(driver and passenger), which effects heat characteristics of the rotors.

This will open up opportunity for the B5 RS4(Europe) and RS6 market. The RS6s use the same GT8 calipers as the B7 RS4. This car uses 365mm x 34mm rotors that are a different offset from the RS4 and are not floating. These cars suffer from brake fade due to the poor heat characteristics of the rotors. If the interest is present for floating rotors for the RS6, the hats could be designed to use the same replacement rotor rings with the developement of RS6 specific hats. The OEM RS6 rotors are similarly priced as the B7 RS4s with no current aftermarket replacement options(slotted, drilled etc..) Many of the B5 RS4 guys in europe have been replacing the inferior stock calipers with the B7 RS4 GT8 calipers and keeping their original rotors. The original B5 RS4 rotors are designed similar to the RS6 ones mentioned above, but they are 360mmx32mm and run the same offset as the B7 RS4. The above mentioned benefits also apply to these cars. I hope this provides some usefull information that may be used for your own good. I think the market is there, but the production of the products is the limiting factor. Hopefully you guys can make some progress in this area if the market interests you. Attached are some other rotor ring links and specs. Take care."

The next step is for those interested is to e-mail these vendors to express interest. This will further help them to get some start up numbers. The hard part will be for them to recoup development costs fairly early so that the further production is guaranteed. Also feel free to post here. I will send a link of this post to the vendors for them to follow up on. I hope that this can get the ball rolling on the brake market for this car. Feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks for the leg work, you might save us all a lot of $$$ and give us more options

I will find it difficult to spring $4K on aftermarket brakes. We already paid plenty for what our cars came with. The Brembos are very good for most applications.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks as well! I would like to have some options too!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Brembo offer a aftermarket BBK for the RS4, or is Alcon the only choice?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why would you go with a brembo aftermarket kit when the kit on the car is already made by them?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The GT8 kit that the car comes with is very diff then the BBK aftermarket kit...

I would actually prefer a proper monoblock 6 piston kit then the 8 piston kit the car comes with.

I have had Brembo BBKs on my last 2 BMW M3s and they were brilliant both on track and street. Alcons are great, but limited brake pad choice.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Isn't the stock brake setup a monoblock setup? It seems perfectly adequate to me.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brembo engineers I have spoken with do not recommend any of their aftermarket kits for the B7 RS4...

They cited the OEM setup has better high heat characteristics.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The stock brake setup is more than most aftermarket kits offer for other cars.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I must resist. I must resist. I must resist. I must resist.....

the urge to mod this car. Really, with the possible exception of a non-functioning DRC system, the whole point of getting a car like the RS4 is so you don't have to mod it. It is designed to provide a high level of performance out of the box. The problem is that many of us, myself included, have moved up to this car and have a long history of modding cars in the past. It is a hobby (or an addiction) that we can't or don't want to let go. Still, we must recognize that, although we may choose to mod, in the end this car really *needs* nothing done to it whatsoever.

Compare this to the B5 S4 for instance, which, out of the box had an engine that was WAY de-tuned, a suspension that was far from adequate, had a long rubbery shifter, and a very restrictive exhaust. It was a great car because it had so much potential. 98% of the potential of the B7 RS4 has been realized from the factory. To squeeze out the other 2% costs major $$$$$.

Quick Reply: Rotor rings part 2...