RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Rough Idle, Check engine light, Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle, Check engine light, Software Update

Well my car has been idling very rough and it has also been spuring when it is cold. I finally took it to the dealer. They just called me and said they updated the software to some super secret changes. They will not...or they do not know what changes the software has made. Kind of scares me as they could have detuned the car.

Anyone else had this super secret software change?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's surging not spuring...dooo
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RS4CarDude
That's surging not spuring...dooo
The mere non-existance of a word should never stop you from using it

Car in-service date? Miles? I've not heard of any s/w update, I had a 15k service last week and no mention, certainly no mention on the forums. A little BS from them maybe? Ask for the technical service bulitin number, TSB, they can't do anything independently.

Last edited by GotRS?; 09-16-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is an ECU update download for rough idle at cold start causing engine misfires. I had to ask my dealer to check for this as they were unaware. The download is only available if your car has misfires and idle issues at cold start. You should also ask them to check for carbon buildup on the valves and if they need to clean them. I had this done at 15000 mi .
Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 AM
RS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RS4CarDude
Well my car has been idling very rough and it has also been spuring when it is cold. I finally took it to the dealer. They just called me and said they updated the software to some super secret changes. They will not...or they do not know what changes the software has made. Kind of scares me as they could have detuned the car.

Anyone else had this super secret software change?
So did it fix the problem?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

TSB 24-08-27, June 6, 2008

Applicable vehicles: 2007 RS4, VIN 900000-906939

Condition: Cold start misfires, vehicle shudders upon acceleration, CEL on, DTC P1995 stored in ECM memory, spark plugs wet/sooty.

Fix: S/W update from 0040 or lower to 0060

Many RS4's have these conditions, except the wet plugs and this particular DTC in memory. I have had cold start misfires and hesitancy upon acceleration. My S/W version is 0030. The fix wasn't in the software. Its cleaning the crud off the intake valves. The software fix is a stretch and you are the first in the USA to get the "update" that I know of. There were several over on RS246 who got the update and they were not impressed with the fix, i.e. the car still ran rough and the performance characteristics changed for the worse, such as the surge in acceleration at 5500 rpm simply disappeared. Your dealer is guessing IMO.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I got the car back...I was very worried about the performance, but it seems to have regained its lost performance. I think it is a wait and see though.

The rough idle caused a misfire in all cylinders = check engine light. When I started it at the dealer after the fix...it still had a small amount of the rough idle, but literaly just at immediate start-up. I have used Shell (about 90% of the time, as it is very close to my house) so fuel quality should not be the issue. After I drive it some more I will post my results, but yesterday I drove it for about 30 miles and all seemed well.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

There has been a number of firmware updates for the engine control unit for the B7 RS4 (at least for the Euro spec cars).

IIRC the latest version is 0090.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good info silver. I completely disregarded the UK changes thinking the US fuel and DOT emissions requirements meant a very different ECU s/w and slower performance.

I've had startup misfire CELs from a rich mixture which has been sorted by Revo tuning, but no Audi s/w updates at service, dyno shows the 5.5k boost.

edit: my VIN is newer than your range

Last edited by GotRS?; 09-17-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did they clean the intake and valves?

Quick Reply: Rough Idle, Check engine light, Software Update