RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 break-in poll: 1) owner's manual, 2) Dr GP/MotoMan method, 3) other - please explain

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 break-in poll: 1) owner's manual, 2) Dr GP/MotoMan method, 3) other - please explain

we don't have much time to commit to one of these break-in methodologies.

<b>big question</b>
also, i figure these engine are all dyno'd for quite awhile before they're even put in the cars. wouldn't this already seat the rings... rendering alot of this "break-in debate" kinda moot. and maybe the break-in is more to ease in the rest of the drivetrain?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default By the Audi book...

I highly suspect that your ECU is watching you. Dramatically exceed the recommendations and you might not get much sympathy if something breaks later.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The real issue might be

Should you drain out the synthetic oil that comes from the factory and use conventional oil for the first 1000 miles. (You could then actually put the synthetic oil back in or just buy new oil). Synthetic oil does not allow enough wear for propper QUICK break in. And the quicker the rings are seated the better. Yes I know that some will say that Audi knows best and they put synthetic in there for a reason. Bull $hit!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Part of the reason I will wait a year:

Put 104,485 on my B5. Took delivery on an early build B6...which had 400 miles on it. High dealer trust and a very candid explanation (of the 400 miles) convinced me to accept delivery. Have had no problems except for PS fluid and some early oil consumption.

Fast forward to now: Audi has blown this launch schedule, the news from European events that revs were capped at 7,000 (plus the B6 early build problems), plus the initial 'launch' (you must by premium, etc., later rescinded), plus it is heavier than the S4 and, as the enthusiast formerly known as rtbarry could attest, almost as heavy as the RS6.

More to the pertinant point or part is the other hand (sorry, long day at work, followed by Margeaux with lamb chops): Audi builds bomb proof engines, and I am guessing that, to some of the above points (and the B6 scare), they have worked the RS4 unit over thoroughly as far as break in and stess testing...I would incline towards immediate but moderate runs between 5-6,000, including some compression braking, but nothing like 8,250 for at least 1,000 miles

I am still waiting until next year to see if anything 'asplodes, and for real world US spec feedback, and to see if I want to drive a 2-ton (slightly overpriced) sports sedan, and so I de-selected myself off #1 spot at my dealer. I am envious, of course, but I am still driving an 04S4 with no significant problems in her first 58,000 miles...my only serious complaint (heh, heh, heh), is that the speed limiter does not work (heh, heh, heh).
Old 06-01-2006, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I'm going w/ owner's manual for as long as my patience will allow...

I'm fully aware of the motoman site and somewhat believe in some of those ideas there but frankly, I don't worry much about break-in methodology and all that crap... will be too busy enjoying the car.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

same here, i am moving my deposit to a 2008 and waiting to see how my dealer handles my clutch issue
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

by the book, if for no other reason than to avoid any potential warranty issues.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would anyone else know how you broke in the car?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the gnome living inside the engine will tell them.

it's possible they could pull the max RPM data (including date, time, and mileage) from the ECU...not sure, but i'm not taking any chances. I know Ferrari can do this on their cars (a friend of mine is a factory-trained tech for Ferrari), but i'm not sure about the current generation of VAG electronics.

considering the risk vs. reward, I don't see how anyone could justify not following the book.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dont think the modules have enough memory to store for the life of the car. Maybe just a month or

something. Theres no way those things have hard drives. At most they have 512 megs of memory, if that.

Quick Reply: RS4 break-in poll: 1) owner's manual, 2) Dr GP/MotoMan method, 3) other - please explain