RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 - Cab vs Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 - Cab vs Coupe?

Could anyone give me some insight as to pros / cons of convertable vs Coupe? I'm considering an '08 cab but realize there may be some weight trade-offs or other considerations?

I appreciate your response....
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

No RS4 coupe. Only sedan, cabrio and wagon. Not sure where you are located in the US they only brought the Cabrio and the sedan.

Yes there is a weight difference. I did not realize it was that much. It seems it is about 300 pounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS4

If you want the open air and the fun in the sun cabrio is the way to go. If not then you pick the sedan variation. I would suspect that on a day to day driving conditions the difference would not be noticable. If you were to track the car it will probably will feel different. That said it would not be anything but very fast, both ways...

Personally if I had to do it all over I would go for the cabrio. But this is just me I would love to have the cabrio which is the best of both worlds.

Other considerations can be the styling between the sedan and the cabrio. The back of the car in the cabrio version is very similar to the B6's back. The interior dash is different as well. Not that it makes much practical difference just aesthetic/looks.

Cheers and welcome to AW.

Nick

Last edited by titsataki; 12-08-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cab has some scuttle shake, but it's not horrible. Just not a car that would work well in very hard driving like track or maybe twisty and bumpy mountain road. Not to say it isn't very fast and very capable, but the Cab and sedan have different missions. It depends on which one suits you. If you want a convertible, then this one is very well rounded.

If you're in the US, they only brought 300 Cabs.

No coupes anywhere. We did not get the Avant (wagon), but other markets did.

We got the Cab because we have other cars for scratching the hard driving itch, but none of them are convertibles. It's really good for what it is. High speed highway runs are it's forte, and we've pulled 7 hour journeys or puttering around town all day with no fatigue at all. The wind blocker means it's nice and quiet with the top down up to around 80mph, but then it's a 2 seater only in that config. Top up, it's within decibels of the sedan. It's nice to have the extra power, handling and braking over most other 4 passenger convertibles, which is why we picked this over the S4 Cab.

The rear seats do not fold down btw, but there is a center pass through that fits a snowboard if that is important.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks very much.....sat in a '08 Cab a couple of days ago and fell in love. It was a little smaller than I thought...and seemed quite a bit smaller than the sedans I've seen. I know thats not the case, and in fact, looks like the cab is actually bigger all around than the sedan from the spec sheet. Looked at a Phantom Black cab begging for a new daddy....
DrivingFool
Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Sounds like it's beckoning...... is there any reason not for you to get it?

However, the Cab does scream luxury in a way the sedan does not. The interior is substantially smaller than the sedan, so if you need room for 4 full sized persons on a regular basis, it might be a challenge. But hubby and I both small, and most of our friends are not too extreme sized, so it's moot for us. I had an A3 prior, and I'd say overall passenger space is fairly comparable, although a bit wider in the RS4. Compared to our Alfas or Ferraris, the interior of the RS4 Cab is huge.

Basically if you aren't super-sized, and you're ok at driving 8 or 9/10ths, then the Cab is fine. The sedan is the logical choice for going 10/10ths or if you have large friends and family.

As I said before, if depends on what you expect and need the car to do.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well considering 3 decibels is twice as loud, it's not saying much!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

A sedan RS4 at 70mph cruise with S button off is 67.9. A Cab with S turned off is 66.5. Sorry, I didn't say which was louder......

Both figures taken from insideline - I'm sure there are other figures out there, but these were at least done by the same people, presumably with the same equipment and conditions.

http://www.insideline.com/audi/rs4/2...cabriolet.html

http://www.insideline.com/audi/rs4/2...-f.html?page=2
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by April
We did not get the Avant (wagon), but other markets did.
Don't remind me Damn I love the avant.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Yeah, my tongue hangs out every time I see one too.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrivingFool
Could anyone give me some insight as to pros / cons of convertable vs Coupe? I'm considering an '08 cab but realize there may be some weight trade-offs or other considerations?

I appreciate your response....
I have owned both. I had an '07 RS4 and now drive an '08 RS4 Cab. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take both of them (as well as my prior S4 and M3 convertible) out to the testing facility near the Honda R&D facility northwest of Columbus. The RS4s were both very well-composed on the two road courses, but the sedan was definitely more agile.

If you are looking for pure performance and practicality, the sedan is better in every way. However with the top down, the cab is truly exhilirating.

Frankly I think the RS4 cab is the best car in the world for less than $100,000. Where else can you get 420HP, AWD, heated seats, reasonable room for 4 passengers, and the ability to put the top down on a sunny day or warm summer night? With a set of all season tires and rubber floor mats for the winter, I am able to drive this car year around in Ohio. When I owned the M3 convertible, I needed an SUV to drive in the winter.

Quick Reply: RS4 - Cab vs Coupe?