RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Cornering Issues

Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Cornering Issues

I picked up an RS4 a couple weeks ago and have just started to push it. I have a track day in about a week and want to make sure everything is working the way it should. I have noticed that if I take, for example, a high speed (65+ mph), swooping right turn the left side fender seems to bounce on and off the left tire making an awful sound and making the car very unbalanced. Audi claimed it was just the fenders being loose which they tightened yesterday. Today I still had the same problem but it's hard for me to get them to understand the issue since I doubt they are cornering it at 65+ mph. Anyone else have this problem? I would find it hard to believe that such a high performance car can't handle cornering at that speed?!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like you may have one or more bad shocks. Do you have the original DRC shocks? If so, how many miles on them?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually just bought the car about 3 weeks ago as a CPO and was told that the DRC had been replaced but I have no idea when. I took it to Audi Wed. and they told me the issue was just my fenders being loose, which they fixed. Of course I still had the same issues so I took it to an independent shop and they told me 1 shock is leaking hydraulic fluid which they showed me as well. Hopefully when I take it back to Audi next week they decide to actually fix the problem. I'm suppose to be doing a track day on the 11th so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets done in time. But considering this may be an ongoing issue I'm debating just spending the $2,400 on the KW V3 coilovers so I don't have to worry about it. It'd be a hairy situation if the DRC were to give out on me while going through a turn at 60-70 mph.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRC failure is a very slow process. Even when fully discharged, it just clunks and get bouncy. It doesn't go boom.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
I actually just bought the car about 3 weeks ago as a CPO and was told that the DRC had been replaced but I have no idea when. I took it to Audi Wed. and they told me the issue was just my fenders being loose, which they fixed. Of course I still had the same issues so I took it to an independent shop and they told me 1 shock is leaking hydraulic fluid which they showed me as well. Hopefully when I take it back to Audi next week they decide to actually fix the problem. I'm suppose to be doing a track day on the 11th so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets done in time. But considering this may be an ongoing issue I'm debating just spending the $2,400 on the KW V3 coilovers so I don't have to worry about it. It'd be a hairy situation if the DRC were to give out on me while going through a turn at 60-70 mph.
You need to determine what generation DRC shocks have been installed, if at all. It is quite possible that they gave the car a replacement set of the first generation which is just as bad as having the original set. If I am not mistaken, there are at least two generations with the second being a good set. My car has had a new set of DRC shocks installed at 15k miles and they have not leaked yet. Having said that, the OEM DRC shocks are way too soft for spirited driving let alone track days. If you are going to be at the track on a regular basis, you might as well spend the money for the KW's, or any other performance suspension system. Just my $0.02...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

As I understand it the originals are rev A. Replacements are Rev B but as Audi was doing the recalls there was a Rev C released.

I have Rev Bs
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I'll just poney up the $2,400 for the KW's. I have no desire to have a near death experience my first time on the track due to a mechanical failure.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
I guess I'll just poney up the $2,400 for the KW's. I have no desire to have a near death experience my first time on the track due to a mechanical failure.
I strongly suggest you get an instructor at the track. There is no reason for you to have such fear.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have a ticking not a booming

I have noticed that on hard turns I get a ticking sound from the front wheels. It is worse on the right but it is only when the wheel is under load. It does not happen when going straight.

I first noticed it at VIR in November. I have asked my dealer and private mechanic to look at it but they of course say they do not notice it. The hotter the car the louder the noise.

I ran track pads at VIR and disconnected the wear sensor wires but replaced the stock setup as soon as I got home. I initially thought the wires were rubbing but I am sure that is not the case now. I asked them to check the CV joints but was told they look fine.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas on what it could be? I am still on my origianal rotors with 48K miles and they need to be replaced. They may be a little warped. Could this cause such a noise?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

With everything that Audi did over the last 2 weeks I was still having the issue so I decided to look over the car myself last night. I realized that the only tire wear was on the outside wall between the tread and wall of the tire. I wider spacer on the wheels were actually causing the tire to rub on the part of the fender that hangs over the outside of the tire so I just went back to the stock setup and everything works finally! It doesn't look as good but I'll take performance over looks any day. If you guys are using spacers I'm not sure more more people aren't having the problem. What size spacers do you all use, maybe mine are just extra big.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS4 Cornering Issues