RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 EPC light always on no faults

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RS4 EPC light always on no faults

My 2007 RS4 had the epc light come on after I replaced the clutch and brake pedal switches for the cruise control. The car was not on but I didn't disconnect the battery. After replacing the switches the cruise control woks fine but the epc light came on with no other faults and no performance loss. I tried to disconnect the battery overnight but it didn't reset. My prochecker does not read any faults and cannot reset the epc.

How do I reset the epc light?
The following users liked this post:
Dumisa Mashele (06-03-2020)
Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a VAG-COM tool from Ross-Tech. It will tell you what's wrong and also reset the light. Of course if the fault is not corrected, the light will come back on again. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
You need a VAG-COM tool from Ross-Tech. It will tell you what's wrong and also reset the light. Of course if the fault is not corrected, the light will come back on again. Good luck, let us know what you find.
I have a VAG V-checker v202 but hate the interface....should have got the Ross tech. It doesn't seem to clear the faults ...yet it cannot detect any faults either. When you check for fault codes do you have to do each component....or does it look for any, because I do have then pre cats gutted which has given me a fault code in the past but doesn't show up on the checker right now.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stewart 683
I have a VAG V-checker v202 but hate the interface....should have got the Ross tech. It doesn't seem to clear the faults ...yet it cannot detect any faults either. When you check for fault codes do you have to do each component....or does it look for any, because I do have then pre cats gutted which has given me a fault code in the past but doesn't show up on the checker right now.
I think you can do either but I just do them all at once. It takes a few minutes, especially checking for hardware that's not installed, but it's thorough that's for sure.

If you've got the EPC light, there is a error code set. It sounds like your code checker simply can't see it. Which makes me think it misses other important areas as well. Better ebay it and get the real deal.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think you can do either but I just do them all at once. It takes a few minutes, especially checking for hardware that's not installed, but it's thorough that's for sure.

If you've got the EPC light, there is a error code set. It sounds like your code checker simply can't see it. Which makes me think it misses other important areas as well. Better ebay it and get the real deal.
Yes I think your right, should have done more research and got the Ross Tech. Is there anyway to reset the epc light without having a reader. I would like to try and clear the fault codes if any, because the car was fine prior to me replacing the pedal switches. I have read that if a component was disconected and the car turned on it might cause the epc light. I don't remember turning the ignition any time during my install, but maybe I did.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not that I know of. If the fault is gone, the light will extinguish after a certain number of start cycles.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not that I know of. If the fault is gone, the light will extinguish after a certain number of start cycles.
I now recall that I did start the engine with the light under the dash drivers side disconnected. I've since connected the light and have started car maybe 7-8 times I will cycle it today to see if it goes away. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Then it will soon be gone!