RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Oil Consumption Database

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS4 Oil Consumption Database

Since RS4 oil consumption is a hot button item on the forum these days, I have some observations and a suggestion.

Observation - we do not currently have enough information across many vehicles to know the extent of this as a problem. (For example, I've gone through 1Q in 1600 miles ... but, I did not bother to check the level at delivery, so I do not know whether or not this is the real consumption, or of failure to top off the oil at the dealer.)

Observation - we do not have good evidence of correlation between breakin method and oil consumption. Current information is anecdotal and not at all scientific.

Observation - sharing this information in a public forum could be seen as compromising to some, due to warranty or resale issues.

Suggestion - I suggest a private list to log oil consumption and breakin method, that will be kept in a secure location. The following information would be kept:

* Driver's Handle and email address (no VIN kept)
* Oil Level @ Mileage
* or Qts of added Oil @ Mileage
* Breakin Method (describe)
-- AoA conservative breakin
-- Aggressive (Motoman style with high throtle acceleration and compression breaking) within AoA limits
-- Motoman (with synthetic oil)
-- Motoman (with non-synthetic oil)
* Driving style (describe)
* Engine modifications (describe)

I would be happy to be the point of contact for all information, which can be sent privately to my email address. Updates from individuals can be provided at any time, and I can post a summary of the database results once weekly. Individual privacy will be kept.

Once we have a significant amount of data collected, over the next few months, we will be in a much better position to determine whether this engine does have an oil consumption problem, and whether specific breakin methods help.

I'd be interested in comments and suggestions from everyone.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RS4 Oil Consumption Database

I wouldn't try to hide this issue by moving it private off this forum...what does that accomplish? Besides, it would be impossible. It's gonna be talked about, just like any other issue.

The type of list you speak of should be taken up with dealers or AoA, for warranty purposes.

And any break-in technique will not overcome a possible design issue which is causing the high oil consumption.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: RS4 Oil Consumption Database

Dave

I think you misunderstand. I don't mean to hide the issue, only the specific data. If you happen to own a car that consumes 2 Qts of oil every 1000 miles, would you like that to be public knowledge when you go to sell the car in the future? If someone has used the full Motoman method of engine brake-in, in violation of the stated proceedure in the Audi Owners Manual, and in the future you have an engine problem, would you like AoA to know?

What I propose is a systematic way to collect information and make scientific judgements about oil consumption. The compiled data would be available for everyone as a forum subject on a weekly basis, and be discussed on the forum. If there is truly an issue, this would also be the first step towards documenting the issue for future resolution with AoA.

Currently, this topic is filled with conjecture, anecdotal evidence, and opinion. I'd like to see more facts before jumping to judgement. I offer to be a clearing house for the facts.

regards,

Scott
RI RS4
Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Okay...

Thanks for clarifying...and I see your points). I still think it's going to be a tough go to corral human nature and keep this tightly structured, though. But, it's worth a try.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here is my info...

No need for hiding, since I did everything by the book.

1) Oil level at delivery level mid-hatch marks.

2) Top-up with 1 qt @ 1000 miles, new oil level top of hatch marks.

3) Break-in: moderate aggressive (accelerations/engine braking within Audi published limits with cool-down, warm-up cycles - NEVER beyond any of Audi's published guidelines), mixed city/highway driving, varied rpm's, etc.

4) Driving style: moderate

5) Engine mods: none
Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't know if it's old news, consuming .5qt per 600 miles is normal per pg286 Owner's Manual..

Page 286 is very interesting. In Summary:

-it is normal for the engine to consume oil
-can be up to 1/2qt per 600 miles
-may be higher the first 3000 miles
-Oil Must Therefore Be Checked At Regular Intervals(they suggest at fillups)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Harumph..

Wayyy too much conjecture on this issue.

Thanks for suggesting this and I too am concerned about these threads becoming nothing but fuel for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about this car by skeptics who would LOVE to bash Audi (we know whom I speak of).
Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Harumph..

Whom do you speak of? We're all Audi owners and RS4 fans.

Here's what happened:

You had a few threads ask if others were experiencing high oil consumption within first 1000-2000 miles.

You had others say "yes" and give examples.

You then had follow up questions about what could be causing it.

You had people with some technical knowledge chime in.

Then you had a few thin skinned RS4 and potential RS4 owners getting all hot and bothered because a legitimate concern was being tossed around too much, in their opinion.

Let's all just remember we're on the same team here and knowledge is never a bad thing, while denial does no one any good. Deal?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:00 PM

Default I agree..

But I am talking about a few people who seem to be showing up lately and don't own an RS4 or don't have one on order.

Their motives are suspicious to me. The dude who raised the issue of the RS4's weight in a thread on oil consumption is a prime suspect.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Well,

you have a point, but remember that nothing is really off subject here. It's a forum, and if you feel that someone is trying to stir the pot, tell him, like you did. But it's fine IMO to discuss and disagree about things.

Congrats on getting your RS4 back, by the way.