RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 owner impressions of M3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 owner impressions of M3 Sedan

For those of you who own or have driven the RS4, and have recently driven the M3 sedan - what are you thoughts? There are plenty of reviews on the BMW boards, curious what fans of Audi like myself think. Seems quite of bit of the reviews may be BMW fans.

Thanks in advance, Arb
Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more sheeple than individuals in this world.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default mostly great....but

The driving position is a deal breaker. And the sedan dosent look anywhere near as hot or as mean as the RS4.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 AM

Default Styling just isn't my thing. The bump on the hood I could do with out.

The seats feel like butter, Very nice.

Interior styling just not my cup of tea.

Love the automatic seatbelt assist.

Stereo sounds pretty good.

I didn't drive it since I wouldn't buy it.

I did however have a few huddled around my car asking questions. And I feel a few more on lookers that just couldn't be seen looking at it. :-P
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

handling, suspension and driving dynamics are far beyond the RS4 IMO
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default so, you are saying only 'sheeple' drive M3's and RS folks are really unique and individual?

what a silly and opinionated comment.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Better than an RS4 with StasisMS suspension? :)

I am slowly getting used to the exhaust note, it's growing on me...albeit slowly...
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2nd. I didn't buy the RS4 to be unique and individual but rather performance and usability...

and I won't be buying the new M3 because "I want to follow, not lead" either. The M3 trades off some of the RS4's everyday usability for even more performance. Great car, can still pass as a daily, and in some ways better than the RS4.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if the stereotype fits. You may be an exception...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wouldn't go that far...it is a marginal improvement at best....

you are paying a price in looks...the bump on the hood, looks downright stupid from the outside, but from the drivers seat looks pretty good....The coupe itself looks far inferior to the 6 series in my opinion..but the sedan looks pretty good...

on start up, it is a pretty mean sounding car...in fact right after i drove it i had the ecs h-pipe installed in the RS4...

in terms of suspension..i have the 275 bridgestones RE-01Rs and the hotchkis sways...i would say the feel is much better in my RS4, and I know from driving a stasis S4 the new M can not compete...stock for stock, i give slight edge to the M3, but really because it just felt lighter. The feel of the steering itself...felt softer in the M, less input, but again the wider tires may account for that on my RS4...like the fat steering wheel, and a joke they did not put it in the RS4 in the US

In terms of grunt...seems to be a little more down low in the M3..My RS4 kicks in MUCH harder at 5500rpm then the M..In fact you dont get that surge in the M at all...a more linear feel to me..It pulls ahrd from 2k on..Does it feel faster on the street?? maybe...Unless you can drive either of these cars at 9/10ths their potential, your butt dyno will not be able to tell much of a difference...

the interior of the M sucks compared to the rs4, and I would say the interior of the S5 is light years ahead of either..the M, what a disappointment. I dont care about gadgets, just does not have that cockpit feel to it like the S5 does...and that cheap A$$ looking carbon leather?? nothing like the interior of the M5..

you also lose AWD. I dont care about the whole understeer thing, and the 400$ sways will get rid of that...you'd be foolish to buy either of these cars solely to track...in terms of the daily driver that packs a full sack, I still say I would take my two year old RS4 over a brand new M...

All that said, the M is a great car, just not leaps ahead, and really questionably a better overall car than the RS4...straight out speed?? If you can launch the M you are faster...but I would bet 8 out of 10 can launch the RS4 faster to 100...
and looks....not even close.....

THe M was better than I thought it would be, but much different then when the e46 was first launched and was a few years ahead of everyone else......

a great car, but just not my style......

Quick Reply: RS4 owner impressions of M3 Sedan