RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 or S5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 or S5?

I'm thinking about purchasing a used RS4 or a new S5. From a acceleration performance viewpoint it doesn't seem like there would be much difference... RS4 has more HP but it's also heavier. I realize the RS4 has a lot of other things in its favor in the braking and handling departments, but engine-wise, it almost seems a wash.

The big question I really have about the RS4 is this... why are there so many used ones on the market with low mileage... some as low as 3500? Why would someone spend this kind of money on a new car, drive it for 6 months and then sell it at a loss?

Is it the cost of ownership, such as so-so mileage, expensive tire replacements, expensive oil changes, etc., or do people think they are buying a sports car and then realize later "I could have had a Porsche."

Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It's hard to tell why so many would be available as every story is different, but it wouldn't

surprise me to find that many people purchased the car and realized afterward that they really could not afford the payments...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
gtc
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keep in mind that the RS4 is the only 4 door sedan among the cars you mentioned.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My thoughts...

I just upgraded from a B7 S4 to an RS4. The engine of the RS4 is NOT the same as the S4/S5, totally different beast...the RS4 being the beast in this situation.
People get excited, buy an RS4, and then realize they can't really afford it. Hence all the used ones for sale with low mileage. I just picked up a used one with 8K miles, pretty much brand new, and saved a bundle in the process.
The only car i would consider now is the RS5 if it ever comes to market.
My 2c worth
Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Answers to your questions......

You wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a used RS4 or a new S5. From a acceleration performance viewpoint it doesn't seem like there would be much difference... RS4 has more HP but it's also heavier.

NO. RS4 ENGINE IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL, BOTH OBJECTIVELY AND SUBJECTIVELY. THERE IS NO COMPARISON WHATSOEVER. S5 WILL NOT MATCH THE RS4 IN ACCELERATION. THE FEEL IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

You Wrote:
I realize the RS4 has a lot of other things in its favor in the braking and handling departments, but engine-wise, it almost seems a wash.

ONCE AGAIN...NO. ENGINE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

You wrote:

The big question I really have about the RS4 is this... why are there so many used ones on the market with low mileage... some as low as 3500? Why would someone spend this kind of money on a new car, drive it for 6 months and then sell it at a loss?

TWO REASONS. PEOPLE BUY IT WITHOUT REALLY BEING ABLE TO AFFORD IT. SECOND IS THAT IT IS BOUGHT A CLASS OF SUPER WEALTHY THAT ROUTINELY CHANGES OUT CARS AFTER SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES. LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF M5'S FOR SALE WITH VERY LOW MILES. OR BENTLEY'S, ASTONS, ETC. THE RS4 BREAKS INTO THAT LEAGUE.

Is it the cost of ownership, such as so-so mileage, expensive tire replacements, expensive oil changes, etc., or do people think they are buying a sports car and then realize later "I could have had a Porsche."

MOST PEOPLE WHO BUY THIS CAR KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GETTING. MOST PEOPLE COULD HAVE BOUGHT A PORSCHE, OR ZO6 VETTE, OR WHATEVER IF THAT FULFILLED THEIR NEEDS. OF COURSE THE COST OF OWNERSHIP IS HIGH. THE GAS MILEAGE SUCKS. YOU KNOW ALL THAT GOING IN. LIKE I SAID, LOOK CAREFULLY AND YOU WILL FIND THAT HIGH-END CARS ACTUALLY TURN OVER VERY QUICKLY. IF YOU LOOK AT THE ACTUAL NUMBERS, THE TURNOVER ON THE RS4 REALLY ISN'T THAT HIGH.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 2 bucks worth

I sat in an S5 the other day its an awesome car!!!

if you wont 4 doors and a great track car too, get the RS

if you wont a 2 door and a model that wont age for 5 years get the S either way you will be happy.

good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

True, but I think the RS will look fresh for quite awhile itself...
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it's pretty obvious that the engine is different...

What he's referring to when he says "acceleration performance" and "engine-wise... a wash" appears to be the fact that the S5 is a lighter car and thus its power to weight ratio and resulting straight line performance will be comparable. That said, yes, the S5 does weigh less, but not enough to overcome its power deficit. The RS4 will still outrun it... but not by much.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subjective feel of the powerband will still be substantially different.

For the overall fun factor, don't diminutize how much of an impact this has.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Answers to your questions......

Thanks for the insight. If it makes any difference the RS4 I am considering was involved in an accident, so will not have original paint on several body panels.

Is there any way to accurately determine "diminished value" for such a vehicle? My local insurance agent was of no help as they said that would all be handling by claims adjusters.

Personally, I'm not that hung-up on the fact that the car is not perfect since no car really remains that way if you actually drive it. Buying a formerly damaged vehicle affords me the opportunity to move up to a higher level of performance at a reduced cost.

I'm just not sure about the long-term prospects on value and whether a repaired RS4 will lose less or more of its value compared to an S5. I tend to think the RS4 might do better because it is so much more rare, and there probably won't be another version until near the end of the B8.

Thanks for all the comments.

Quick Reply: RS4 or S5?