RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Steering Wheel Vibration

Has anyone out there noticed around 110km/h indicated that there is a vibration through the steering wheel. And i've tried rebalancing of all wheels , swapped front to back and rebalanced. A new set of tyres has not changed the issue or the speed that it occurs at?? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

mine is rock solid...

perhaps you need an alignment or have a bad tie rod or something
Old 04-24-2009, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock solid for me also, Hit some of my highest speeds last weekend at 125 MPH and was amazed how smooth everything was. Also was top down and didn't even get my hair messed up
Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I picked my car I drove it on the highways for like 900 miles to get home. I did all the way to almost 90 mph or more for hours during the 2 days back and I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. No vibration no shaking.

I am with the other members maybe you have a bent or worn tie rod or control arm. From your different switches of tires and a wheels I think it is probably a suspension issue.

Cheers

Nick
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM

good here as well.

what kind of tires are you running?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine does this at certain speeds, on grooved concrete. It's the dunlops tramlining, or some form of it. Causes the steering wheel to jiggle a little bit - car still tracks straight though. This happened on my M5 with Dunlops too despite multiple wheel rebalancing. Doesn't happen on any other type of road surface.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rim is prob. bent or the tire isnt perfect...

look for a shop that has a hunter road force machine and let them rebalance it
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Orig it had pirelli p zero's and has done this from brand new. I am now running Dunlop super sport race which also have the same issue a the same speed. Dunlops are heaps grippier though and would recomend them to anyone who drives hard on road or track. I have also had both sets of tyres on the hunter machine and also audi's 4 wheel alignment machine without any change.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RobboRS4
Orig it had pirelli p zero's and has done this from brand new. I am now running Dunlop super sport race which also have the same issue a the same speed. Dunlops are heaps grippier though and would recomend them to anyone who drives hard on road or track. I have also had both sets of tyres on the hunter machine and also audi's 4 wheel alignment machine without any change.
Maybe this is obvious in the OP, but thought I would ask - are you running 8MM spacers upfront? I had a similar issue when running 8MM hubcentrics spacers on the front. The lip isn't big enough to provide a great fit thus creating some vibration at different speeds (between 62-68mph) but not consistently. I just went w/ 10MM & the problem disappeared.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had your problem... but

dealer fixed it. I was having issues with my tire pressure gauge. It wasn't working correctly and giving me misreads on my tire pressure. Anyway, I brought it into the shop and they fixed both problems. I think that you should check the tire pressure and or see if your wheels are balanced and rim isn't bent. One of those is the most likely the problem.

Quick Reply: RS4 Steering Wheel Vibration