RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 v. C63 and Bentley GT Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 v. C63 and Bentley GT Continental

You know, in the past, I have taken some heat on this board for constantly comparing my RS4 to other cars I have owned, driven, or em . . . raced against. I always thought that kind of silly since every car magazine out there does just that all the time. I have always found that to best appreciate what a car is, you must first appreciate what it is not, and what better way to guage that than to drive, or drive against, other cars. So if you are Bob "W"hatever or anyone else who detests such comparisons, just stop reading now and move along.

I was making my way home in my RS4 on a nice warm night at about 10:30pm. I know the road well and it is single lane and twisty, with a few sections of two lanes where it is very straight that goes to one lane again as to more twists and turns. Speed limit is 50mph and "sometimes" I may not pay attention and may be a bit faster than that. This night I was just crusing along when two headlights get on my six so close I can not see them. I sped up and so did he and we were going fast enough for me to know it was not a "normal" car following me. I was quite impressed. As we approached a two lane straight part with nary another car in sight, I punched it and so did he.

Alas, here is my first observation. A C63 can beat an RS4 in the straights. At least my RS4 with me at the helm.

Here is my second observation. A C63 can't touch an RS4 in the twisties. As it got twisty and was going towards one lane, I managed to get right next to him. As the curve became more pronounced and we got within highbeamsight of the single lane merge, he lost traction and I did not. And I mean enough for me to think I should not have taken the bait and been a mature driver (insert castigation here) and just let him tail gait me and then blow by me with a bigger chest pound. But I thought the conditions safe enough to have some good fun. We never saw another car on that remote road whilst we played.

He did not bin it, but came close, real close, as he slalomed along. His was not a rear tire break that he could turn into a drifting display, it was a battle with his traction control mimiking a motorcycle's attempt at a high side. Perhaps he over compensated his slide as mere mortals do, but there was no hint of control in his vehicular jestations. While he was regaining his composure, I continued on at a more civil speed. Eventually he caught me again and was driving like such an idolt, I let him pass and did not give chase. Whilst I played with him, I never thought my RS4 near its limit (my meager skills could never really find it), but he was obviously ok with taking his C63 past it's limit and well, there is fun and there is not so funny.

So faster in a straight line? yes. In a meandering one? Not so much. Imagine the difference in the rain.

REQUIRED DISCLAIMER: Conditions, car, and drivers may vary so your results may vary. Driving a car to the limit as this bloke did is not recommended on public roads, or even driving it at 50% of its limit.

A P.S. For good old times here is another comparison to another car I own, my Bentley. Apples and oranges. The flashy looking 552hp Bentley gets you to high speed in a stealthy fashion. The stealthy looking 420hp RS4 gets you to high speed in a flashy fashion. My point is that the GT is a great car, but it makes you appreciate what an amazing handling sports car with 4 doors an RS4 is. The GT is just that, a GT. Sometimes to appreciate the precision of an RS4, you have to, well, drive something less precise, even if faster on paper.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Great story! thanks for taking the time to write it up. I miss living near

twisty roads than I can push the RS4, and compare against a rival vehicle.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Well done

I wish that I had the ability to write like you. . . oh well, I'm a numbers guy :-)
Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: RS4 v. C63 and Bentley GT Continental

Well spoken. I've always thought (and heard) that Mercedes' approach to high performance is just to increase HP and torque, without equal attention to handling. Your description suggests that is true.

And how dare you, in your mere Audi, not submit to the C63's lineage and breeding!! :-)

Great story. Very satisfying read - I can't stand it when people tailgate me, particularly to the point that their headlights can't be seen. Whatta maroon!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default If you recall thats a very similar to what the stig said about the C63...

When top gear did the RS4, C63, M3 comparo at the end of the 10th season. The C63 was fast but was unmanageable in corners due to its heft. The apple challenge summed it up pretty well. (4:40 into the video in the link below)<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWqO25x-ZA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWqO25x-ZA</a</li></ul>
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sorry but I have to lmao at your sig.....best one I've seen, best quote I've seen....

soo I had to read your list of autos...and I don't see the &lt;ahem&gt; 'silver beast' listed and ...&lt;ahem&gt;...well...nice. )
Oh yeah, your writeup was good too..............
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One of my favorite Top Gear lines was from that episode regarding the C63.....

"It rolls thru the corners like it's wheels are on sideways."
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Default What's your feeling...

on the next Mustang? It's supposed to be styled after the 1969-70 body, GT's will look similar to old Mach 1/Boss models. The 1960-70 was my favorite Mustang. I never really warmed to the current one because I never liked the '65 body style.

Let's see if they also bite the bullit and finally put in an independant rear suspension.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM

don't forget to put on your rear fogs when someone tailgates, they usually back off