RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 V8 REAL CRANK HP FIGURES

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 V8 REAL CRANK HP FIGURES

I phoned to a respectible local (Belgium) engine tuning company to find out what sort of power increase I could expect from a Motronic upgrade on my RS4 B7, and the news I learned are depressive !
I would even say shocking !

They had so far 3 RS4 V8 that were dynoed and nono of them came even close to the power figures announced by AUDI... the best one had 390 crank HP and the worst 380 crank HP....Just to be sure i am not talking about the power at the wheels so comparing crank HP which is what AUDI is talking about....

He said he probably could explaign 5 at the most 10hp because of the transmission loss that is not measurable due the variable torque system in the Quattro of this RS4, the rest of the transmission losses are taken into account...

Worst the S4 V8 never have the 344 Hp, lots of them do not reach even 300.. one of their customers had 290 HP on his S4. This is 54 HP less than announced or roughly 15 % lower which is not acceptable. He took a lawyer, fighted against AUDI for a year, and won his case an got a new S4 V8, but after a dyno test he had won 10 Hp.... there is a clear issue with Audi's communication startegy on these 4.2 V8 S4 and RS4

My contact phoned to many of their German contacts engine tuners which confirmed these bad results for the NEW RS4 V8, not a single tuning company in Germany has found a RS4 V8 to show more than 400 HP at the crank yet........

Guys you live in the country of customer service and where customer rights are higher than in europe.

So all the RS4 owners, please go make a dyno test and report to this forum the results....

IF we can confirm this , there is a case to stop AUDI from working with Marketing personnel that have no barriers ot exageration in their promotion.

I will try to make a dyno test ASAP...... (I will wait a little more mile as my car has only 800 miles so too little to have all the engine power available yet...

But you guys go ahead and lets us know if this is a real issue or not....

I do not plan to let AUDI get away with this. We pay cash these cars to get cars that meet specifications. Being an ISO 9000 company they have procedures and manufacturing practices that should provide engine specs that are in the middle of the variance, in other words, it is logical to expect that all engine will not give precisely 420 HP, but there should be as much engines providing over 420 Hp as engines providing less.... and not systematically less than 400 hp, which for me is abuse of the customer....

Let me know your thoughts....
Old 08-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Default HOW DID THEY CALCULATE CRANK HP?

because unless they pulled the motor and put it on a bench dyno, those figures mean precisely dick.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My thoughts...

It's a load of horse crap. There are too many variables and technological hurdles to measure power 100% accurately with a chassis dyno (rolling road). If the power was really down as a few people are claiming, then the real world performance of the car would not be where it is. All this bullsh!t about suing for "lack of horsepower" is nothing more than ignorant asshats trying to get an easy buck. Stop the stupidity and enjoy the friggin car.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: HOW DID THEY CALCULATE CRANK HP?

Well they use a dyno that works with inertia so ther do taek into account the Hp loss in the trasnmsission, this is good dyno system

MAHA is the dyno manufacturer. from what I learned they are the best types on the market used by many Porshe tuners in germany (Manthey Racing is one of them for exemple)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:18 PM

Default i've used those dynos

and while they tend to be quite accurate for tuning purposes (and VERY conservative) their estimation of "crank" output is just that - an estimation.

like i said before, unless you pull the motor and test it on a bench, you'll never *really* know its crank output.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i like your thinking...
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Default exactly....you will never know the crank unless you pull the motor out....did they just use that 20%

formular or some sort of "theory" to estimate it?

I think dyno just gives you a general estimate on the actual HP, the results is mainly for use in compare HP "Gain" on before and after tune.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: i've used those dynos

well One sure thing, I was really dissapoijted when this guy told me none was getting more than 400 Hp ,but the evening itook the car for a ride, adn it really works great its not working at much as my previous 996 TT, bit is not far from it, adn my porche has probably arounf 480 Hp....
Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Default oh really?

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/14816.phtml">this really sums it up</a></li></ul>
Old 08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I remember something about he new 350z's coming out and....

Nissan had over exaggerated the HP/Torque number and I believe Nissan offer some type of re-imbursement. Don't quote me on this.

But unless your really, really picky I wouldn't mess with the dyno, and just enjoy. If it feels strong then let it be.

Quick Reply: RS4 V8 REAL CRANK HP FIGURES