RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 versus ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 versus ...

I really don't understand these "versus" threads and statements like "Must have seen the thread on how slow the RS4 is below." First off, to say the RS4 is slow is just plain idiotic. Seriously, it's faster than 98% of the cars on the road. Secondly, anyone who buys an RS4 has the means to buy a Z06 corvette (same MSRP) which will out handle, out brake, and out accelerate just about anything for under $150k, so the choice to purchase an RS4 is obviously not based solely on speed.

In making my decision to purchase the RS4, I considered the Z06, the up-and-coming new M3, and also considered and test drove the Cayman S and 911 Carrera S (997). I've also previously owned an e39 M5, 996 Turbo, 996 C4, Mercedes E55, and BMW M3 LTW, so I have a pretty good idea of what the competitive landscape looks like and how it drives. I also own and race a BMW e30 E-production racecar so I also know people are kidding themselves when they think their street cars are racecars or anything close to it. Having said all this, I purchased an S4 last summer and loved it so much, I picked-up an RS4 the first chance one became available (two weeks ago) and have no regrets.

Deciding against the Porsche was pretty easy. I love the 911, but unless you spend an extra $20k, the interiors are horrendously cheap looking and if I'm going to spend $100k on an 911, I'll spend the extra $6k and get the GT3 (I am on the waiting list, but the jury is still out on if I'll decide to buy one). I just didn't like the Cayman. Yes, it handles great but I still like the way the 911 "feels" better and, sorry, the Cayman - like the Boxster - is too feminine for my liking (just my personal opinion for which I am not alone). I also thought a lot about the new Z06 but the car isn't very good in the rain (I live in the Pacific Northwest) and is useless in the snow. I also wanted 4-doors (another reason for not going w/ the Porsches), and I don't have any gold chains or tight black tee-shirts. The `vette interiors are atrocious and, also very important, I couldn't get my wife to warm-up to the idea of the `vette. So that leaves the M3 which I also had to think hard about. Again, no AWD, and just like the previous generation M3, there'll be a new M3 on every corner within one year after arriving stateside. Also, with the introduction of the 335i, I'll be looking forward to watching the M3 guys getting spanked by the 335i crowd with their $500 chips and $1500 suspension upgrades. I have no interest in being one of those M3 guys.

For me, the RS4 is the perfect car. It doesn't draw a lot of attention and is relatively exclusive (especially compared to the M3). It's a compromise car (like any sports sedan) with the soul of a racecar (I love the engine, which is what drew me to it in the first place). Yes, it's heavy but I'm never going to hang a car out (any car) in the turns on the streets like I will at the track, and the weight makes it feel nice and stable at speed on the interstate highways. And when I do go to the track, it will be in my racecar which will beat just about any street car around the track (the only exceptions that I've run into are the current Z06 (modified w/ slicks) and Porsche GT2 (also modified w/ slicks), and they weren't that much faster laptime-wise).

Finally, for all the different cars I've owned I've monitored the forums just like I'm doing here with the RS4 forum, and one thing I've observed is that there's always somebody touting which cars are better, faster, etc. I think these people don't get that there's more that goes into the decision to buy a car than just speed and handling. If that's what it was all about, we'd all own an Ariel Atom and be done with it. I hope you're all enjoying your cars. I know I am and there's nothing out there under $100k that I'd rather have.

-Roland.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Yay! Well said!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

2nd that!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice write up!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

great points! (so you beat him, right? ;-) jk)
Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 AM

Default You hit the nail on the head but...

just like you said there are alot of other cars we all could have bought for the money we dropped on our Audis. There is a reason we all drive Audis. My reasons are the same as yours. We all could have bought riced up civics that could be faster but we didn't. People just like to talk and debate. But im like you it kinda gets old.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"there's nothing out there under $100k that I'd rather have" - Agreed.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you

I have followed this forum for roughly 3 months, and couldn't understand all the bashing on the RS4. Thank you for stating the facts. I would take a heavy car during a street or highway accident any day. Like your point about track vs. street, and the Ariel Atom2. Look forward to more positive postings like yours here
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I completely agree: another reason I got the Audi is actually for the weight...

It has great "crash protection". In reality I am much more likely to "need" to survive a drunk runnig a red light and hitting me than "needing" to out drag rece a modded 335 or stage3 B5 in an illegal street race. The same reason went into my choice of the B5 and B6 S4's over BMW and other lighter cars. You can't change the laws of physics. F=MA
Old 02-21-2007, 05:19 AM

I believe ReconTrojan's "slow" reference was 100% sarcasm. . .

Quick Reply: RS4 versus ...