RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 vs new M3: The first unbiased (?) mini-review I've seen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 vs new M3: The first unbiased (?) mini-review I've seen.

RS4 complimented for better gearbox and crisper steering. They didn't mention that the new M3 lost something in the looks department compared to the E46 M3. Still, BMW will sell plenty of the ugly things. Give me a greasy, snowy road and I'll hang them out to dry. Can't wait!

Disclaimer: The foregoing was not intended to be a direct challenge to current or future M3 owners. I was an E46 M3 owner for a short while.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3x79sKpf0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3x79sKpf0</a</li></ul>
Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I saw that a few weeks ago, great review
Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: RS4 vs new M3: The first unbiased (?) mini-review I've seen.

better Audi gearbox is surprising, as BMW's are known for slick gearboxes. maybe mating it to v8 power detracted from BMW's usual excellence there.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The shifter in my M3 was notchy and a bit vague. Disappointing compared to older BMW's like the 2800 CS my father had decades ago. That was a nice car.

The RS4's gearbox is smooth and precise, but without slack. Effortless. Heel and toe downshifting was easier in the M3 though. It made you feel like a champ. Or is that chump?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default the BMW shifters I've tried haven't been that great

My E36 M3 wasn't as good as my S4, even with a short shift kit. Could've been the age though. The one in the E46 M3 didn't seem to be any better and neither did the one in the 335. But a relative has an M Roadster and I like that shifter. The RS4 shifter is probably the best I've felt though.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've said it before:

The M3 will really be apples to apples with the RS5 (2 doors, more limited back seat). And I think the RS5 will look better (the S5 looks so much better than a current 3 series in my opinion) and it will drive even better than the RS4 (lighter, better weight distribution...)

If they are close now, they won't be then.

But for me, I NEED the real back seat and the AWD (for family and work respectively).
Old 12-30-2007, 06:21 AM

The cars are close. I've never been a BMW basher (except when those guys start running their mouths), and I appreciate the M3 for what it is- a superlative sports car. I have yet to drive a V8 M3, but I plan to do so- just for kicks, not to buy. Wasn't too impressed with the inline six M3. Fast off the line, but not much high speed grunt, and it sounded like a tin factory.

But Audi is Audi. I like it for the quattro, I like it for being generally understated, rather than a "look at me!" car. And I still think Audi's build quality, interior and electronic designs are second to none. Hell, even my wife, who's not a car person, has an easier time with the RS4 than she does with her 330Ci or old MB SLK 320.....

But a good point was made here, and in the video link. The M3 has equalled a car going out of production. What happens when Audi and MB come out with their own big guns with new platforms? Will the M3 hold up to them? How's it going to compete with an RS5 sporting 500 hp, or a new RS4, which is certain to offer up more than the current platform?

BMW has thrived on being first. But they're not first anymore. They weren't the first to bring the high revving small block V8 to market. Now, they're behind the 8-ball, and that's going to play out big when the M3 gets overwhelmed by new models from other manufacturers in '08 and '09.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Very entertaining review overall - thanks for the link.

(RS4 quattro) "...sends more power to the rear making understeer a thing of the past". Yea, right!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I don't really get that. The 40/60 TorSen helps but doesn't cure all the understeer.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 AM

need the ohlins for that

Quick Reply: RS4 vs new M3: The first unbiased (?) mini-review I've seen.