RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

RS4 vs. V10 M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 vs. V10 M5

Hello, im kinda new here and have some questions. First off I love the RS4 and think its the nicest car on the planet. I know some people who say no matter what you do to the RS4 the V10 M5 is faster? I read in a previous post you can do a Full Milltek Exhaust (20 HP), hyperflow induction kit (10 HP), and a Wetteraur Chip (22HP) that is a total of 52HP. That brings the RS4 to about 472HP on 94+ Octane. My buddy says even with these mods the M5 would smoke the RS4. What do you guys think (since you own the car) ?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

RS4 would probally lead until about 100MPH then i dont know.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Some here own both...

so I will let them give you a comparison. That said, the RS4 is probably faster into and out of the corners while the M5 is faster on the straights. So it depends on how you define "faster." Also, the M5 will walk on the RS4 at high speeds. All in all, I would say the M5 is the faster car. The M5 also wins the "less attractive" award and the "winter garage queen" award.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You get an A+ in ricer math.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I hate when people seem to be only concerned about what car is faster...

Are we talking about drag racing? No!!!! These are road cars and when is comes to actually turning the steering wheel, I don't think the M5 can touch the RS4. If you want to go straight fast, then get a corvette and save some money. If you want an all around performance car, then the RS4 is your ticket. The real bottom line is always going to come down to the driver, and a great driver can make a bucket of bolts drive fast. However, the RS4 makes driving fast seem so easy. You should probably drive both and see what you like better.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL
Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Okay...let's begin......

1. Both these cars are stinkin' fast. Here are the fastest tested 0-60 times:
RS4: 4.2
M5 SMG: 4.1
M5 6sp: 4.4

If you want pure speed, however, the M5 is the car to have. The pulling power once you are rolling and at higher speeds is more than the RS4. The RS4 does so well at 0-60 from a standing start because of the grip of the Quattro system that helps to rocket the car forward from a standstill.

2. If you want the sportiness, interaction and control of a manual transmission, the RS4 will be quicker to 0-60, as the manual M5 is a tad bit slower than the SMG at lower speeds. The manual M5 also doesn't allow full disabling of the stability functions which always compromise performance. Really kills the fun factor.

3. The control of all this horsepower on real world roads is far superior in the RS4 due to the quattro all-wheel drive.

4. As speeds rise, above 80-90mph, the M5 will pull ahead and keep pulling on the RS4 no matter what you do to the RS4. The same all wheel drive grip that gives you phenomenal traction at launch and during high speed driving maneuvers, also becomes a straight line disadvantage due to frictional driveline losses as speeds rise and traction no longer becomes an issue.

5. One can never look at the gains afforded by certain mods and just sum them up. Doesn't work that way. Different mods affect different parts of the power band. Two mods that alone may increase horsepower can actually decrease power in combination. The only way to know for sure what any combination of mods will do is to test them.

6. The M5 and RS4 are two different classes of vehicle. The M5 is a bigger and much more expensive vehicle, almost $25k more than the RS4. These are not the same level of car. Compare the RS4 to the M3 and Mercedes AMG C-class.

7. In the end, from what I have seen, there have been more dissatisfied M5 drivers/owners than there have been RS4 owners/drivers.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LOL here too!!!!......

Hey wait!!! Does that =2LOL??
Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes! Unlike claimed HP mods, LOL's are additive.

And it isn't a ricer exclusive. I met a Mustang owner at a gas station last year and he told me his car was 545HP. He then went on to add up all the HP claims of the mods. That car could never be over 400HP. LOL!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: RS4 vs. V10 M5

My brother has an M5(6speed) and i have had much time at the wheel. The M5 is a "faster Car". It has more power and rear wheel drive, so at speed, there is not much of a comparison. It is around town and the turns that the RS4 really is more enjoyable imo. It is smaller, feels lighter (and is by a margin), and much more agile.
The m5 to me is more of a touring sports sedan, where as the rs4 feels more of a blend b/w sports car (hence the constant m3 comparison) and beastly sporst sedan. that is just my impressions from behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: RS4 vs. V10 M5