RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

S4 cab VS RS4

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 cab VS RS4

Hi guys. I need some imput. My lease is up on my '05 S4 cab, and while i love having a ragtop I'm being swayed by the RS4. My dealer can get me dibs on one of the last ones being built, so they say. I REALLY wanted to get the RS4 cab, but not only didn't they bring it into Canada, but our commie government has now made it impossible to import, new or used.

I've never driven the RS4, but I hear nothing but raves about it's capabilities. I may get a chance to drive one in a couple of weeks when the snow melts (they don't have winter tires on them), but in the meantime, my question is this... for those of you who have gone from an S4 to an RS4, how noticable is it? Is it night-and-day, or is it just a little better? I'm looking for as many reasons as possible... I've read some past posts in the archives on this subject, but fresh insight, especially now that you've owned your RS4 for awhile is very much appreciated.

Thanks to whoever responds.

ross
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Default For me, the difference was comparable to my move from the A6 2.7T

to the S4. Ride quality, handling, performance, aggressive stance, exhaust note, blah, blah, blah. Love the RS and will keep it for many years.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: S4 cab VS RS4

Hi Ross, I went from my S4 hardtop to the RS a few weeks ago, having never driven one until the day I sat down in it. I had the exact same concerns as you..

Speaking strictly from the performance perspective of how this car compares to the S4 I can tell you that if your coming from the cab you are going to be shocked at how fast the RS is. Handling is also going to be night and day esp. coming from a cab. I know others have said it drives and feels like a totally different car than the S4 and this is true. It is rock solid at high speeds unlike the S and feels so much more planted. I had an E39 M5 awhile back and this car is noticeably more powerful. It will spin the tires shifting into second at redline. Whereas I used to be able to floor it around town in my S4 I really can't do that as often in the RS b/c it just gets going so quick and is so stable your doing like 100 on a city street before you know it - the power this car delivers deserves way more respect than the S4 did.

Anyhow, performance wise I don't think you'll be left feeling shortchanged that's for sure..
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default seeing that you're in Canada, I would think a cabrio top is pretty much useless for half of the year

the decision would be easy for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do it, you won't regret it. Buy in USA though, don't be a sucker and pay canadian prices.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, hearing this makes me want the RS4 even more, despite not being able to get the ragtop. I really want to make an upward move in some way, and going from a B6 S4 cab to a B7 S4 cab doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. I'm just fretting about how much I'll miss the cab, which I love, compared to gaining the performance of the RS4. It's encouraging to me to hear that the RS4 is that much more car than the S4. I very much appreciate the feedback regarding the handling and power comparison. Wish I could drive one, but I can't yet and I have to make my choice before someone else grabs the RS4.

I know I'd miss having a cab, but I'm getting more swayed hearing about the RS4.

ross
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default BR..

I noticed your running The Stasis/Ohlins set up with 10 mm spacers. Did you have to roll the fenders? I was told you can't lower the car with those...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

After having done everything you can do to a B6 S4, I was also not expecting a whole lot of difference between the two...but I was really impressed with the stability and power of the RS4. Being as I had installed the Stasis Motorsport coilovers, the handling was maybe a little better on the S4, but I could tell a big difference in stability and can't wait to install the Motorsports on the RS...Go for it, you won't be sorry...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default my take: sl long

have'nt read what others have said, but I went from B7 S4 drove it 18 months 50K miles and then got RS4, its immediate the differnce in ride, acceleration, handling, comfort, the sheer thrill of 8250 redline as you break in the engine and how it just puts a grin on your face everytime.
I have driven the car the most on this forum probably am at 50700 miles right now in 14 months, still love and still it puts a wide grin on my face everytime.
cannot go wrong plus excellent in snow with winter tires have taken it T.O. several times parents still live there, D.C., NYC, Chitown !!!

go for it won't regret it but there are several options out there depending on what you like and need .
Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 AM

Default seeing that you're in Canada, I would think a cabrio top is pretty much useless for half of the

True, but up here it seems like we tend to appreciate any nice weather even more because it's rare... having a convertible is SO nice in the summer, lets me take in as much warmth as I can. And the ragtop is a phenomenal winter vehicle... the top is warm and tight and quiet. It's a great car, just really would love the extra power and handling of the RS4... looking for confirmation that it's worth the loss of the convertible.

Ross

Quick Reply: S4 cab VS RS4