RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Searched the forums, no joy. Can we get a review of H&R Springs AND/OR H-Sport sways on an RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searched the forums, no joy. Can we get a review of H&R Springs AND/OR H-Sport sways on an RS4?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Searched the forums, no joy. Can we get a review of H&R Springs AND/OR H-Sport sways on an

Ok well since installation of HR springs and sways heres a quick report

Road - wow feel like am driving a slot car it really has improved all aspects, dosent bottom out or compramise comfort either.

Track - WOW i had it on the track for 20 min sessions this week(photos to come) and i tell you either my lines are perfect (prooly not) or im gettin no and i mean NO understear!!! i suspect a bit of both......seriously

Looks - well it just looks even more sexy now which is awesome too

Installation - audi 6 hours 7-800 bucks aussie dollars, and audi warrenty which is best of all

Hope this helps
Syko
Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Progressive rate springs=nice ride

I like the H&R stuff...a lot. I use to work for a competitor, but always admired their products.

The good news:
H&R's progressive rate springs mean that the ride is going to be very nice, compared to coilovers.

Performance spring kits are much, much less expensive than coilovers....but the installation costs are also about the same.

The car won't be as low and because the suspension isn't adjustable, your car might not handle quite as good as a fully performance aligned, corner weighted, properly setup vehicle using adjustable suspension.

The bad news:
However, it won't be as stiff and you won't be able to run around a racetrack as quick as the cars with more modified suspensions.

Summary:
Replacement springs are designed to be an affordable option, offering a compromise between performance and ride quality.

What you'll get:
A nice modest lowering...the car will come down a bit, but won't be slammed.
A decent ride...it'd almost certainly be better than most cars with coilovers, depending of course on how you adjust your coilovers.
Better ground clearance than a coil over suspension.

Here's what I tell people:
If you REALLY want it low and want to track the car, or get the most aggressive setup you can, opt for coilovers.

If your car is a daily driver and you MIGHT occasionally track the car, or you have a wife/girlfriend who also drives the car, or you don't want ground clearance issues, the performance springs will be just fine.

H-SPORT SWAY BARS:
Perhaps the easiest explanation I can give is summed up this way;

Where I live, there's a nice on ramp on which I usually take at about 6K rpm in second gear..it's a slightly decreasing radius turn, which is perfect to showcase a car's shortcomings. Using the best racing line I could, the car still needed every bit of the road and would never max out the revs in 2nd gear.

AFTER sway bars and performance alignment, I now take a higher entry speed and do it in third gear. At the track out point, I'm almost 10 mph faster out of the turn. BIG difference.

Basically, the initial understeer is greatly reduced and the car is flatter in the turns.

This of course, is on street tires. To really reap the benefits, I need a more aggressive alignment and sticky tires, at which point I can start making all sorts of adjustments to the suspension to make the car handle better.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Default nice to hear someone spell it out objectively and honestly

for a change!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Progressive rate springs=nice ride

Hi Craig!
Thanks for the info!
Where do you get the H&R springs respectively the sway bars?
Made any changes for the brakes? I'm wondering about some of the pagid pads (blue?) or the Ferodo DS2500. I have it mostly as a daily but would like to go tracking now and then..
How does the K&N work for you? Was it u who tried it out for K&N? Does it not take in a lot of heat?
Gotten any ECU upgrade?

Actually emailed GIAC yesterday and apparently they have a RS in and are under development. Also I've seen Technine in Canada has some SW through the OBD2 port... do you know anything about these things?

Man, if I could afford I would try to get someone develope a turbo or compressor. Hey I've seen MTM's but it's 25k, little to much for me..

Appreciate all input!
//Rick
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Craig & Syko. That's the most I've (we've) heard on Audiworld so far.