RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting

I was wondering if anyone else has had this or if its just me. Especialy when cold, it is difficult to shift from neutral to first gear. It seems to get easier as the car warms up. Could this be a transmition fluid issue or shift linkage issue. Any thoughts or inputs would be helpful. FYI, it was just in for 25k service and they stated no issues on road test.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Default I find 2nd sometimes is my trouble child when 1st starting out.

It seems to like to shift at higher RPM's than I want to put the car in when chilly out.

If that makes any sense.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I posted about this a few months ago. I often have trouble shifting into 1st when at a stand still..

I mentioned it to my dealer and they apparently trouble-shooted with an Audi engineer and determined there was "nothing" wrong. I had them check the clutch and although I believe this is a minor issue with the syncros, they said they couldn't do anything.

I currently have 15k on the car and had about 10k problem free miles.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Re: I posted about this a few months ago. I often have trouble shifting into 1st when at a stand sti

Thanks for the input. I thought I had read that before on here but I was unable to locate the thread. Sounds like the same condition for me. If at a stop in neutral, I shift to second or third first, then shift to first it goes right in gear with no stiffness. The problem seems to mostly go away after the car is up to temp.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no such problems with mine...shifting has become almost telepathic for me.

but then again, it never gets cold here.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Guess I should elaborate...

Mine seems a little harder to shift into 2nd the first time I drive the car in the morning during the cold weather. It returns to normal after the first shift. It is all pretty subtle.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same problem! I changed out the tranny fluid and nothing happened...

but smoother shifting when warm! I think the issue lies with the shift-links!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM

Default Same .....

My 88 VW Scirocco would refuse to go into 2nd when was cold until I changed out the tranny fluid to some super fancy GM stuff.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't be tempted to use a different gear oil...

The viscosity, grade and blend are all chosen for a specific reason. I'd stick with the gear oil available at the dealership. The difficult shifting at low oil temps is a compromise and common with late model manual transmissions. There's really nothing that can be done that won't degrade some other aspect of the tranny (whine, slipping out of gear, faster synchro wear etc..). The reason why the service people say there's nothing wrong is because there is nothing mechanically wrong. More frequent oil changes will probably help though.

Quick Reply: Shifting