RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Shifting into neutral without clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting into neutral without clutch?

As I was driving today I was coasting probably around 40 mph and my hand accidentally hit the shift lever from 4th into neutral. I was surprised that this happened bc I didn't have the clutch engaged. I then tested it a couple more times pushing the gear into neutral without the clutch under controlled conditions(low rpms)and the shifter happened to slide into neutral fairly easily.

I came across this by accident but do not feel that this is normal. I did some research and found that people in some cases shift into gears without using the clutch. Should I be concerned that this is happening? Is there a minimum amount of resistance I should expect? I believe as the rpms are higher it is not easier to push the shift into neutral. Also should I be concerned that there is any damage to my transmission? I don't track the car and drive "spirited" on occasion, but definitely do no abuse the car or clutch in any way. Also I have 25K miles. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated. Can anyone else confirm if this occurs or is possible on their car?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do this all the time , its perfectly normal... at the right RPM the tranny will let the car into neutral without an issues.

I normally do this when I come to a stop
Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reassurance, for a second I thought I had a major issue.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Perfectly normal and done with ease if at the right RPM.

In fact, I don't suggest it, but you can actually go from neutral to a higher gear, especially 3rd or 4th (with the car in motion of course) without depressing the clutch. Not something you should experiment necessarily (other than on a rental LOL), but it does work. Do it often and the wrong way, you'll need new synchros (and or a full tranny rebuild). ;-o)
Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah that's not uncommon. A friend of mine just drove a Stealth Turbo 400 miles home without a functioning clutch that way.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

yup you can drive a manual without using the clutch.
As long as you synchronize it manually.

it would be a bit rough though.

Cheers

Nick
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

So coming from someone who's never done this...what are the "right RPMs" to slide it in and out of nuetral or even from nuetral into another gear?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I too shift at higher gears once in a while without depressing the clutch.

Originally Posted by RS Maniac
Perfectly normal and done with ease if at the right RPM.

In fact, I don't suggest it, but you can actually go from neutral to a higher gear, especially 3rd or 4th (with the car in motion of course) without depressing the clutch. Not something you should experiment necessarily (other than on a rental LOL), but it does work. Do it often and the wrong way, you'll need new synchros (and or a full tranny rebuild). ;-o)
To shift to a higher gear without depressing the clutch, I normally would wait a second or two on neutral with a firm pressure on the stick and gently push it into gear. Don't force it! Just apply a firm pressure and you'll be able to shift it without depressing the clutch. Though i don't recommend you do this at high speed and with your RS4. I used to do this a lot with my old STi and never had problem. "STi tranny is way a lot cheaper than an RS4".
Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

you have to press the gas pedal as well and bring the rpm's where it would synchronize. If in neutral the rpm's will be about 700-800 (same as idle).

So while you gently push the gear level towards the gear you going next gently press the gas pedal. When it reaches the proper rpm it will get into gear.

Cheers

Nick