RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow

Relocating to a snowy state. It's gonna be different. Planning on getting me some snow tires and still using my RS4 as daily driver. I was wondering if anyone chose to hibernate his car for the winter and use another daily driver instead?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I used to hibernate my M5 and bought a 330xi for winter. Then the RS4 came out and I realized that one car could do everything those two cars did just as good or better I wouldn't hibernate a quattro Audi though, not even a V10 R8
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine goes into hibernation from Nov. to March. New England winters are brutal on cars.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by fluevog
Mine goes into hibernation from Nov. to March. New England winters are brutal on cars.
^^ This.

Where exactly are you moving? Will they be using salt, sand, or nothing on the roads?

Whether your RS4 will be a good winter driver is as much a question as if you want to put it through the harsh environment. Salt, freezing and thawing, etc are all extremely hard on any vehicle. It's harder to wash/wax your vehicle when its zero degrees outside, so that's something to think about as well. Here in Ohio (the rust belt) I would personally rather put a fine vehicle like an RS4 in the garage and have a different AWD car for winter.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

yeah go for it. that's something i really like about the rs4. it's sort of a rugged supercar you can offroad in. i traded a quattroporte for mine though, so my perception might be skewed. lol. the first thing i did when i started driving was light a cig.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
^^ This.

Where exactly are you moving? Will they be using salt, sand, or nothing on the roads?

Whether your RS4 will be a good winter driver is as much a question as if you want to put it through the harsh environment. Salt, freezing and thawing, etc are all extremely hard on any vehicle. It's harder to wash/wax your vehicle when its zero degrees outside, so that's something to think about as well. Here in Ohio (the rust belt) I would personally rather put a fine vehicle like an RS4 in the garage and have a different AWD car for winter.
Pete is right but a lot depends on where you live. Here in Co a lot of people drive all winter because it is so arid. gravel is the worst here - some salt - and some pot holes show up by Feb March.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
^^ This.

Iowa, and I believe they use salt. True about the washing thing.
Any opinions about alternatives? Suzuki SX4 :-) Subaru Outback ?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by airbus9
Iowa, and I believe they use salt. True about the washing thing.
Any opinions about alternatives? Suzuki SX4 :-) Subaru Outback ?
Go lease a Subaru Impreza, they are running deals right now for 179$ a month with full mantainance, 12K a year and I think 1K down.... This is what I did

On a plus note, it lets me appreciate my Rs4 that much more after a week of commuting in the Impreza
Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by airbus9
Relocating to a snowy state. It's gonna be different. Planning on getting me some snow tires and still using my RS4 as daily driver. I was wondering if anyone chose to hibernate his car for the winter and use another daily driver instead?
One of the main reasons I bought an RS4 over an M3 was so I could drive it all year, it's fun as hell in the snow! Hibernating it in the winter is nuts, IMO.

And commuting in an Impreza knowing the RS4 is just sitting in the garage for 6 months...hellz no!

Last edited by mtndog; 10-06-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtndog
One of the main reasons I bought an RS4 over an M3 was so I could drive it all year, it's fun as hell in the snow! Hibernating it in the winter is nuts, IMO.

And commuting in an Impreza knowing the RS4 is just sitting in the garage for 6 months...hellz no!
I still drive the Rs year round... Only on nice days though. I basically use the Impreza to keep some miles off the Rs4...