RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

So I'm hearing through the grapevine the new BMW 335 will do 0-60 in 5.3sec.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I'm hearing through the grapevine the new BMW 335 will do 0-60 in 5.3sec.

WTF?!? That's the same as the 6MT S4!!! That's stock too so who knows what some performance mods will do to that beast!

I'm waiting for your commentary dave :-)
Old 04-26-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea i just read the C&D write up saying they were pulling closer to 5 seconds

here is a thread if you want to check out the article. I agree w modding , its gonna be a beast

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/10753/2007-bmw-335i-coupe-official-photos-and-info.html
Old 04-26-2006, 06:26 AM

Yeah but the car is still ugly as fark.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i think many people will disagree with you, but also, this is ...

an enthusiast forum. performance, and not looks should be the prime measure of a car's worth. everytime some mentions a car that isnt the best looking (sti, evo, new 330), everyone is so quick to dismiss the performance of the car merely because of looks. i suppose its motivated by resentment, wherein one feels the need to invert values - such as the axiom that function > form - in an attempt to disvalue things they cannot attain (such as the performance, stock, of the new 330; once mods are considered, the new s4 will not likely be a performance contender). look at what a tbe and em can do for a 2.0t gti mkv!!! consider what they did for the 2.7tt, although the 330 does have an AL block and will thus, most likely, be compression limited.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 AM

there is value in aesthetics though...and it is ugly as fark
Old 04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hear that the reason they kept boost low is because they didn't mess with the block or

reinforce the internals. It appears to not get the fancy magnesium and aluminum block/crankcase.

Obviously they don't want to step on the toes of the 400+hp M3 either.

Apparently coming only in the Coupe and Convertivle for now, and substantially more expensive than the regular normally aspirated cars.

Of course since the convertible is a hard top, it will make for a higher center of gravity.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 AM

Default I could buy a new STI and EVO for the same price as a new RS4.

Why drive a pig if you don't want to or have to? IMO the new 3-series is ugly. With unlimited funds, you can take any car and turn it into a supercar. With $30,000, you could put a supercharger on the RS4 and it would have @550 horsepower. This would blow the other cars away and still look good doing it .
Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default your argument makes no sense, and heres why ...

you could buy an evo and an sti in place on an rs4, but you could also save that money, or rather, invest it in either car and have a trule amazing sports car unrivalved by any car but the most exotic. as for the rs4, do you actually believe you will be able to supercharge the rs4 motor?? if so, your a moron. you honestly think audi left that type of performance in the car; this is an rs model, it has been tuned very closely to the limits of the car. you argue: "With $30,000, you could put a supercharger on the RS4 and it would have @550 horsepower. This would blow the other cars away and still look good doing it." Sure but then you have 100k invest in a depreciating asset. With $10k you can have an sti putting out 600whp and still have $20k left over for a daily driver. the point being, when speaking of performance, looks dont matter.

function > form
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default there is some value, but not the most important thing ...

merely because it is ugly - which is a most subjective value - does not mean it has an impact on the performance of the car, an objective valuation (lap times, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, skid pad, etc ...).
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I think an enthusiast forum can be concerned about looks...

Most of us make cosmetic mods to our cars. Looks are important. I have seriously considered an M5 while waiting for my RS4. ONE of my reasons to justify not getting the M5 was that is was so ugly.

I don't have to justify my RS4 purchase decision by putting down other cars. I do think that Audi makes the best looking sedans inside and out. It is just a personal preference.

I think the whole performance comparison between the cars within a segment is a bit ridiculous. I don't street race and don't really car about the my car being incrementally faster than the competition. There is always a faster car out there. So what if an ugly Bangle BMW is a little faster 0-60. Although the Subaru makes great cars, it is a complete joke to compare them to Audi when it comes to build quality. The Audi is much more expensive. It is like comparing the RS4 to the 997 TT -- from a performance and price standpoint there is no comparison.

Quick Reply: So I'm hearing through the grapevine the new BMW 335 will do 0-60 in 5.3sec.