RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

So now that the August issue of C&D is out, how many days should we give it before...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default So now that the August issue of C&D is out, how many days should we give it before...

trolls from BMW, 335i, or whatever forums come by and make dumb posts about how the 335i ran a faster lap around VIR than our RS4?

So before that happens, let me be the first to say, I could give two ***** even if they made a $25k hyundai that ran faster laps than the RS4. After just coming back from a drive, with the windows down, giving it the full 'italian tuneup', downshifting and rev-matching for no justifiable reason other than just to hear the V8 make its usual music, taking my favorite off-ramp at speeds that would make baby jesus cry (southbound ohio street exit in chicago), I've again come to the conclusion that I love my fat, understeering (so they say), bloated, and overweight Audi. I think I'm going to keep it for a little longer
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a grety exit... i like taking the northbound entrance ramp at ohio, using the express lane
Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default hehe. I almost put myself to wall there in my M5 when...

I was a bit too enthusiastic exiting into that straight (express lane) and forgot that I had ESP and traction control completely off as preset in M-mode when I first got the car. It was quite an "oh ****" moment.

Thanks to quattro, it is almost impossible to do that in the RS4.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Default nothing like baiting them to come out

i see so many of these 'love my RS4 even if it can be beat by...'

makes no sense. it's very fast and shouldn't be looking at that in a negative way, ever...IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

roflm well said i love the Rs4
Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Default why

the constant apologies, or at the very least explaining of the RS4 here?

it's faster than any current(US) BMW 3 series(M included) based on established 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, and that is the universal measure of speed and performance.

Audi does this even with the inherent speed disadvantages of AWD. i think Audi has pulled off a remarkable feat with the current RS4, hands down.

if anyone needs more proof, ask yourself why BMW jettisoned their famous inline 6's for a v8 in the new M3. because they know what the competitive benchmark currently is and they're behind right now.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Default The C&D writers are idiots

No need to make excuses for or rationalize how the RS4 is better. The 335i is a good car (I test drove one but it feels like a Camery compared to driving the RS4) and the new M3 will no doubt be great. Sure the 335i might get around the track a tad quicker (to my surprise I might add) and the new M3 will no doubt smack the RS4, but that all changes in the rain. (Did I mention I live in Seattle?)

Anyway, regarding my subject line, one thing that annoyed me about the VIR write-up was the author stating the RS4 would have not done quite so well had it not been for the AWD. This is an idiotic statement. W/o the AWD, the RS4 would be (1) lighter and (2) put ~10-12% more power to the wheels which would mean much faster lap times around the track. Geesh, if you can be that much of a moron and write for C&D, sign me up. Ok, that's a bit harsh. He probaby wasn't thinking when making that statement but I had to have my fun

In any event, I prefer to look at the RS4 holistically. Add AWD and give-up some dry performance, gain that back and then some in the wet. (Did I mention I live in Seattle?) I'd love to see a similar test in the rain. One thing's for sure, two-thirds of the year, the 335/M3/Z06/Etc crowd will have to be feathering the throttle while I can lay it all down Goodbye.

My only real beef w/ the RS4 is it's definitely a push pig. All the marketing material and even some reviews suggest otherwise, but that's crap. Even w/ the aftermarket suspension which helps a little, the car still pushes hard. I've altered my driving style which helps and the car can hustle around the track in spite of this. I'm willing to forgive the car for this one flaw though because there's sill nothing out there for under $100k that I've found to like better and I've test driven a lot of cars. Looking forward to the next gen RS4.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rolanday, what tires are you running?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe in the hands of a race car driver...but I think the average Joe is faster with the AWD.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the RS4 would be faster than the 335 in most cases. I'm interested to see how the 135 turns

out though. I bet it'll be a quick little beast.

Quick Reply: So now that the August issue of C&D is out, how many days should we give it before...