RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Sold the RS4, bought 2013 GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the RS4, bought 2013 GT-R

Well it was tough to do, but I sold my 2008 Audi RS4 two weeks ago. I really enjoyed that car and will miss it, but after 4 1/2 years and a little over 22,000 miles it was time to move on. I do hope Audi brings the RS6 stateside, as I have become a huge Audi fan after owning the RS4.

What was even tougher was convincing my wife to get on a plane, fly to Houston, let me buy a new 2013 GT-R and drive all the way back to Iowa. I've only owned the GT-R for less than 2 weeks now, but it has helped me to move on.

The local dealer where I sold my RS4 contacted me yesterday to tell me they had sold the car. So hopefully the new owner will enjoy the car as much as I did.

Here's a pick of the GT-R.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

What, no editorial comparison ? ;-)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow nice car. Obviously quicker than the RS but only a V6

Would love to hear a comparison too.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NOW you have 1FASTCAR
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
NOW you have 1FASTCAR
Yep, was thinking the same.

Two very different cars - the GTR is pretty hard to beat if outright performance is your main criteria.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't love the GTR but that picture is definitely the most flattering angle. Those exhaust tips are gorgeous, for sure. The whole *** end of the car, actually, is very well done. Certainly can't critique the outright performance.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
What, no editorial comparison ? ;-)
Originally Posted by ELEVENS
NOW you have 1FASTCAR
Speed is relative and technology keeps surpassing what used to be fast. Yes this is a fast car, but I had thought that with a lot of my past cars over the last 20+ years only to see the technology keep pushing forward. I can only imagine in another 10 years that factory production cars will still be even faster. I'm not sure how much better 0-60 numbers can get due to traction even with AWD, the more interesting numbers are 0-100 and 1/4 mile times.

Obviously performance wise there isn't much comparison as the difference is on a different scale. Acceleration, braking and handling are far superior to the RS4. I will have to wait until winter to see if the Nissan AWD technology compares to Audi Quattro, but I am worried that the low ride height with solid aerodynamic panels running the full underside of the car may be snow challenged. It is strange not having a clutch pedal, but after two weeks of driving this car, it is hard not to be won over by the advantage of the dual clutch transmission. The shifts are lightening fast and very smooth. I have been driving manual transmission cars for 20+ years, but the RS4 had a clutch take up that I could never master fully (even to the point of the light throttle surging in first gear on occasion). I always warned people when I let them have a quick drive in my RS4 that the clutch was different from other cars. Even still most of them ended up stalling or doing the severe jerky motion. No such problems in the GT-R as the automatic mode require no thinking at manual mode has the option to automatically shift or not shift at red line.

Visually the RS4 was beautiful, but car design styles have evolved and it no longer stood out in the crowd (especially after the B8's starting showing up). I won't say the GT-R is the most beautiful car in the world, but pictures don't do it justice. I think people expect more style from a super car, but the Nissan engineers were more focused on aerodynamic function. I had never seen a GT-R in person until I arrived at the dealer in Houston to take delivery. The first person impression far exceeded my expectations and I can't go out to the garage often enough to stare at it.

The RS4 would get the occasional thumbs up in traffic from real car guys, but mostly went unnoticed. The GT-R receives a level of attention that I was not prepared for. People in cars and on the sidewalk turn to look at the car as it drives by. Other cars pull along side and give thumbs up and wave. People are coming up to me in parking lots to ask about the car and I can barely get out of my car at gas stations before someone is over talking to me. This wasn't just in Iowa, this started happening as soon as I picked up the car in Houston and it was happening on the whole drive back. I buy cars to enjoy driving them and looking at them myself, all of this attention is a bit embarrassing but I will have to get used to it until the mystique passes on the GT-R.

Surprisingly, the GT-R is slightly larger than then RS4 (longer and wider). The trunk is a a bit smaller and there is a little less leg and head room in the back seat, but other than having only two doors I didn't give up much in terms of space for my kids. Audi makes some of the nicest interiors in the business and I still think the B7 design of the RS4 is better than many of the new cars out there today. The GT-R approach is slightly different, but overall quality is higher with more leather everywhere and softer plastics. The style is not as seamless as Audi's, but again few cars are.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the honest comparison.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your new car in good health!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTCAR
The trunk is a a bit smaller and there is a little less leg and head room in the back seat, but other than having only two doors I didn't give up much in terms of space for my kids.
I'm 6"2 (186cm) and found there was no room for someone to sit behind me on the couple of occasions that I've driven R35s.

Quick Reply: Sold the RS4, bought 2013 GT-R