RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Stasis & Bob W.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stasis & Bob W.

The link at bottom is my Avus RS4 in which Alex and Jason competently fitted the Motor sport/Ohlins kit.

Prior vehicles include: 1976 3.0 Carrera-Targa, 1978 911SC, 1980 911SC-Targa, 1983 911SC, 1989 Carrera 4, 1996 993, 1999 996 Carrera 4, 2003 996 Carrera 4S, 2004 Audi S4(w/Stasis Tracksport). Spousal unit's included 1996 B5 A4, 01' B5 S4, both of which I had significant seat time.

Don't do track days, and am not overly concerned or deeply understand about the engineering behind much of the discussions on this board. However, I know the results of particular mods, and what I like. I live at the top of the mountain between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz CA, so the cars get driven on various mountain roads and HWY's every day in a spirited fashion.

In the days surounding and during the Motorsport install, I had been driving an 06' Boxster loaner while my wife's Cayenne was being serviced. This enabled a real-time reference to a light, mid-engined(albeit woe-fully underpowered), precise steering "sports" car. The Stasis equiped RS4 is so superior to the OEM DRC in every regard, it's hard to highlight any one aspect. The car rides much flatter, more secure, virtually un-noticable weight transfer in situations that made the OEM version of the car scary, more precise/quicker turn-in, more controlled, more neutral, more stable, all the while with no diminished comfort/ride quality. You can steer the car w/ the throttle in a way similar to a rearwheel drive car, but with suttle/secure quattro. There is a loop I do on Alma Bridge road that goes around Lexington resivor. For ****s and grins, drove the Boxster and RS4 back to back thinking the lightweight, mid-engined car w/ "legendary" steering would crush the 3900 LBS 4-door sedan in terms of nimble-ness and fun like tossability. I flogged the Boxster as hard as I could without being reckless. The RS4 was equal or better with superior comfort and class. I had driven the same route numerous times w/ the DRC set-up. In conclusion, and I'm not kissing up for a good deal, the Motor-sport kit elevates the RS4 litteraly into a different class. After plunking down the $ needed to purchase an RS4, it's criminal not to spend the extra few% to get an exponential gain.

ps. Bob W is my hero.......<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/18935.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/18935.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-05-2006, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh, now you've gone it done.... Bob is going to be all over you about this thread.

Btw, could not agree more about the Ohlins.... I have them on my B5 S4 and just got them on a B7 A4. They really are quite an amazing piece of equipment that really help unleash already fantastic cars.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know what this has to do with me, but in relative terms, you haven't gained anything.

...in my opinion. if I had to chose between a Boxster S and RS4 to drive on a twisty road, I'd pick the RS4 every time. for the typical driver (i.e. anyone who hasn't spent a LOT of track time in a mid-engined, RWD car) the RS4 is going to be easier to drive quickly and safely, and therefore more enjoyable. I think this is also the case with the 997S. I've spent enough time driving the 3 aforementioned cars (with and w/o aftermarket suspension on the P-cars, I should add) to state this with confidence...and I've been a Porsche fan since age 4.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just wondering how much actual track time you have had in any car?

IMO the only way to know the real limits and capibilites of a car is to get it on the track and spend time learning it. Trying any of this on the street is foolish.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I never posted anything about knowing the limits of any of these cars.

I agree, that would be foolish. But these are street cars we're discussing, and my opinion is based on that context. it's the same context that virtually every automotive publication includes in their assessment of every production car ever tested. if you think that's foolish, why bother driving cars of this caliber on public roads?

to answer your question, I tracked my old A4 and TT several times, but haven't done anything with the RS4 yet.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good try but your hero's not buyin...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did you know that your neighborhood use to be StaSIS-land?

Paul Lambert started StaSIS from the hills behind Los Gatos..off the summit on the way to Santa Cruz.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I never posted anything about knowing the limits of any of these cars.

note that I said "without being reckless". My definition of that is, to the best of my skill and awareness, to not be a danger to myself and more importantly to anyone else. The roads I'm talking about are very sparsely traveled, especially when I was on them. Given my past stable of vehicles, my ability to judge a car's capabilities is reasonable. I have driven on the track many times in the past with most of the 911's, been to PCA driving school learning the "unique" handling of the rear-heavy **** go-carts. I always prefered the AWD versions of the 911.....I now drive Audis for the specific reason my bicycle fits in the back w/ the seats folded down....