RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

STaSIS SL update (long...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STaSIS SL update (long...)

I installed the STaSIS SL suspension in December and have over 7,500 miles, one track day and one auto cross on the setup. The car has 35,000 miles on the clock, and I recently changed to the summer tires with Team Dynamics racing 18x9 wheels and the brand new Dunlop Z1 star spec tires. I am running the stock sway bars front and rear, as this is what STaSIS designed the SL system around and they advised against stiffer bars.

My initial impressions of the suspension was that while it was a bit firmer than the stock suspension it made the car feel more planted and stable, the highway "float" was gone. The only downside was that road imperfections (potholes) are louder in the cabin than stock, the ride is still far more comfortable and supple than my wifes Mini Cooper GP. The stance is far more aggressive, the ride comfortable I would not change back to stock for anything.

The first track event was at Miller motor-sports track in Salt Lake, we drove 600 miles out and 600 back the car was amazing on the cross country ride, smooth as silk.

The car on the track is just a blast, the car has very little body roll, and very little dive when on the hooks hard, best of all it is very neutral in its handling, Miller has some really fast sweepers that you would just power through, no push, just unbelievable confidence inspiring grip and when at the limit you would feel the whole car simply begin to slide evenly and in a very controlled fashion, easy to control, with a really big grin. Good turn in and really fast on the exits.

There were several other RS4's at the track and with the stock suspension, It seemed as though this set-up is much quicker through the corners.

I also had a chance to autocross the setup last week and again was much more fun to drive than with the stock set-up, as the car would not push like last year unless you were really late with your braking, driver error, and at the limits of adhesion, turn in is quicker and again was more neutral than I recall at last years auto-x events.

All in all this is a great option for those looking to lower the car and change out the DRC system. The DRC was fine when I took it off the car and I have had no issues at all with the STaSIS SL's.

This car deserves this setup, the perfect combination for street and weekend warrior stuff. Happy to answer any questions...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: STaSIS SL update (long...)

Sounds good.

Question about your wheels. Which model are they
and what spacer do you use and where did you
get them etc most interested in how you fit 275's
Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

275/30/19 fit pretty easily, many people run them, I have the 275 RE-01R
Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Default The wheels are Team Dynamics Racing 18x9

no spacers, they have an offset of 23. The Dunlops are great tires but not available in 19"s...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/84837.phtml">Link to wheel post</a></li></ul>
Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The wheels are Team Dynamics Racing 18x9

There are so many available tires in 275/30
it is crazy, crazy good that is. I would love to do it but altering the steering geometry and putting more force on the wheel bearings I don't know. What did you have to do to the wheel
well again?

Nice car by the way, real nice
Old 04-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Default It was not too bad...

I re-glued the rear liners to the fender, mine had come loose so I ran a bead of silicone on the liner and clamped it overnight to the fender so it was tight to the inside, made a big improvement on the clearance. On the front I simply removed the fender liner screw and plastic tab.

The stock wheel is a 29 offset and a lot of people are running 10mm spacers, these TDR wheels are a custom 23 offset so only 6mm outboard of stock not much difference really.

I love the look and the setup, I know the clearance does not look like it would work but I have absolutely no rubbing at all, I have had 4 people in the car, pushed it hard on the track and run on an auto-x course.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No alteration to the steering geometry...

or increased wheel bearing load with either the SL suspension or the wheels. I am running 275's on stock suspension with no issues. If I were to lower it, I may get some rubbing.

When you lower the suspension, you re-align everything, and the geometry is unchanged, it's just lower in the normal travel. But in hard cornering, you end up in the same place anyway, except here you are slightly reducing weight transfer with the lower center of gravity and better distributing the loads.

In other words, no issues.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Brian

It just goes against long held beliefs
but makes way much sense in terms of tire
selection. There are so many choices with this.

I wonder what the ideal offset would be if I
were to try this.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No alteration to the steering geometry...

Thanks. Which 275's and which wheels and ET
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Ideal offset would be 25mm IMO for this car and 275's and

20mm if you want to run the stock 255's.

Quick Reply: STaSIS SL update (long...)