RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Steering rack replacement?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack replacement?

Over the past 4 weeks I have noticed, in the morning and especially so with cold mornings, that when turning the steering coming out of my garage i hear what can be best described as a creaking sound coming from inside the dash predominantly on the right side.
This sound is not present when driving at normal roadway speeds and during warm conditions.
I reluctantly went to the local dealership and they had a look-see. One of the service guys said there was a little "play" when turning the wheels from side to side when they were holding onto the wheels from the outside. I'm not sure i believe that, but this is the story.

Their diagnosis is that I need a brand new steering rack because that is the only thing left to consider as all of the other rods/connections are solid...sort of a diagnosis of exclusion which is totally bogus. A diagnosis of exclusion in medicine means you don't know what the heck is going on and we'll just label the problem to make you feel better.

I told them to hang on and wait, because i would rather not have some kids tearing apart my vehicle if there is no solid evidence that the repair will solve my problem.

Other ideas fellow RS4ers?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default When I am maneuvering in and out of my garage, or in and out of a parking spot...

I hear little clicking noises coming from both the front wheels when I'm turning the wheel at low speeds. I always attributed this to some flex in the wheel as it meets resistance with the ground via the tire tread, or some sort of quattro awd noise that I would consider 'normal'

The clicking is reminiscent of a hot exhaust system tick noise - it's tinny and high pitched, so it's definitely not a clunking noise.

I haven't brought it up with the dealer since I have noticed absolutely no performance loss - that and both the 2007 and 2008 press cars we had at work made the same noises when turning at low speeds.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm, can't say i've ever experienced that one. Mine is a very noticeable creaking sound
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Ball joints, broken rubber bushings ?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Did they check the power steering fluid level?

It is a complete guess, but your symptoms sound mostly the same as something that occurred frequently on the RS6. At least checking the fluid level is easy compared to replacing a steering rack. I would hope that this was already done, but ...
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Wouldn't explain play

dealer said some play in the steering system at wheels, right?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Re: When I am maneuvering in and out of my garage, or in and out of a parking spot...

the clicking is common in all audis have your wheel bearings replaces and it will go away. this is a warranty replacement and the dealer will do it happily.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yes, but he said he didn't really believe the tech who said there was, "a little play."

I was just thinking that, perhaps, Canuck thought the tech was completely incompetent and/or looking for a big job to keep him busy for a while. If either were the case, the tech may have jumped to the conclusion that it would be better to replace the whole steering rack rather than look for simple fixes. It just seems like an odd conclusion to draw and I have become too cynical. Regardless, it takes less than 20 seconds to prove me wrong.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have EXACTLY the same issue!

It's going in next week for diagnosis along with a routine oil service (the second). This only happens in the morning when everything is cold - and by "cold", I just mean at ambient temperature - I live in Houston and morning temperatures are in the 60's. I would describe it as a low frequency moan that becomes louder when turning the steering wheel either direction. This started occurring in the last month, and it all goes away when everything warms up after a few miles.

Mine is a 10/06 build which I took delivery of in 12/06. It now has 5400 miles and is otherwise flawless.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed...the more i think about this the more i believe they want to book

a big expensive service appointment to bill to Audi Corporate. Their logic makes no sense. They didn't drive the car (at my request), but they didn't ask too either and their "diagnosis of exclusion" worries me to say the least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering rack replacement?