Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Point Track Day March 17th and 18th

http://pcc-acna.org/index.php?option...emid=77&did=44
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting ready to sign up for this. I think my buddy with the C63 is going to sign up as well.

Two full days is a big commitment, but I'm pretty pumped.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm signed up too. We can almost never get track time on Summit Main during the weekend bc that's when the races are usually held. It's almost always a Monday/Tuesday or Friday track time so take advantage! It should still be cool enough that the stock pads/lines/brake fluid will be ok for you. May get a little of that brake fade late in sessions though. And hopefully you have some summer tires so you don't stupidly waste a good set of A/S like I did!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
I'm signed up too. We can almost never get track time on Summit Main during the weekend bc that's when the races are usually held. It's almost always a Monday/Tuesday or Friday track time so take advantage! It should still be cool enough that the stock pads/lines/brake fluid will be ok for you. May get a little of that brake fade late in sessions though. And hopefully you have some summer tires so you don't stupidly waste a good set of A/S like I did!
I have the stoptech pads, it will be interesting to see how they hold up compared to the stock pads if anyone else is running OEM. Never really thought about the brake lines/fluid. Is this something to be concerned with?

Instead of eating up my new 275 Pilot Super Sports on my stock rims, I'll be running 255 KDW's on 19x10 rotaform rims (bit of stretch, but within the specs of the tire). It's kind of backwards, running skinnier tires on wider wheels, but the KDW's have some life left in them before I switch them out for 285's (Rotaform says they will clear with different spacers). I've also heard that running slightly stretched tires stops the tires from rolling/shifting, which I've read can result in less understeer for AWD cars.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Aggressiveness will probably come into play more than the equipment. I'm guessing that you have to start braking at brake point 5 on the main straight stock vs 4.5 or so with the stop tech. I went with the stainless lines (about $130) before going to the track so I couldn't tell you the difference. The motul brake fluid has a higher max operating temp so it should maintain max braking ability longer. But I think the trade is that since their isn't much brake fade, you eat through the pads. I only got 1 track day on my pads before Audi told me I should change them. I had just put the new set on 2 months before! But it's all based on how you drive. If you don't try to threshold brake every lap it'll be much friendlier on all your equipment. I was having fun chasing down a Vantage in my run group so I couldn't help myself!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm gonna try out the 22.5lb TSW's which r 19x9.5 so hopefully that theory is true. I'm goin to try out the Hotchkis sway bars as well since thee are under $400. Maybe try playing with air pressures too. I'll try all my options before giving up and going with the coil overs.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
I'm gonna try out the 22.5lb TSW's which r 19x9.5 so hopefully that theory is true. I'm going to try out the Hotchkis sway bars as well since they are under $400. Maybe try playing with air pressures too. I'll try all my options before giving up and going with the coil overs.
I know I've read a post somewhere from an RS4 owner who has only the rear Hotchkis Sway bar installed and he claims it helped with understeer. In theory having a stiffer rear end would help the back end rotate while the front end was able to dig in. Bottom line though, is that the balance on these cars pretty much sucks and no matter what you do to the suspension the weight distribution will still be 58/42.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm just not convinced that the weight distribution is the main cause. I think Audi adds understeer to their cars to keep people out of trouble for daily driving. Higher levels of understeer tend to make cars more controlable and predictable. I got to drive the R8 at Las Vegas speedway and that car has a substantially different weight distribution and it still had the understeer. It was a little less, but still very noticeable compared to the other cars I drove that day. Stasis actually built a new facility at Summit Point last summer, should be open in the spring. Maybe I can get them to let me take out one of their test cars! Audi races in the DTM series and it's clear that those "A4s" don't have understeer issues so there's definitely a solution. Just a matter of what the cost will be.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a great video I found to get a feel for the track and the lines. Just ignore what he's doing in turn 5 since I don't think the DRC can take it that tight, I know I couldn't get my nose around from there. We'd be more along the outside line where the Vette is. I'm pretty sure this was Chris who was out there with me in July. I forgot which coilovers he has, but seeing this makes me want them. Still get a lot of wheel noice from his RE-11's, but who cares as long as it turns! I wonder if the s/c would equalize that Z06's straight line power.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is all awesome info! Can't wait to go to summit now!

Quick Reply: Summit Point Track Day March 17th and 18th